World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I assume you mean from the beach.

Attach the feather rig, i use a swivel between the mainline/leader and the rig, other end a standard 3 to 4 oz bomb.

Cast as far as you can and reel in slowly, i do three to four winds and then pull. This has the effect of a rise and fall in the water.

You'll know when you've got one, mackerel are strong fish for their size and you'll feel a small thump as they hit.

Good luck, others may have other methods but that's the one i use

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Feathering is hard work physically, so if you can use as lighter rod as possible, i use a 2.5lb tc carp rod with 15lb line and a lightweight large spool reel. I can easily hit a 4oz bomb 80yds+ every time.

Far too many anglers i see use heavy beachcasting rods and reels with heavy line, they may get the same distance but it will be much harder physically.

I also prefer to pull the rod sideways as compared to the origional vertical lift once again its just easier physically to do this and it makes little difference to the motion of the feathers. (imho)

Take a selection of different shaped and sized leads, these will work at different depths to search out where the mackerel are.

Happy Hunting

1 - 3 of 3 Posts