World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a problem as it prevents accurate control of the reel and deters me from touching it any more than slightly while casting. Any advice?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Buy a bike inner tube,and cut a strip off and fit it to your rod just below the reel seat,then flip it over the spool to grip the spool. think there's a YouTube video by John holden showing this. (Don't buy a fixed spool...,) 😁 20210722_112017.jpg

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Thumb the edge of the spool, not the line. It's a lot more sensitive so you will have to get used with using a lot less pressure, but thumbing the edge of the spool is the correct way an you can stop the spool dead if you want to with the slightest of touches, this is called an educated thumb.

Just ignore the tactless " get a fixed spool" answers, they only say that because they have no real advice to give👍

Mark ..

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
The inner tube is more to get a grip when casting, put your hand on the reel an place as much of your thumb over the spool as is comfortable, some guys make the mistake of just placing the tip of their thumb on the spool when setting up for a cast.

This technique is another correct way to use a multiplier, oh an aye 🥴 don't buy a fixed spool lol.

Mark...

·
Registered
747 Posts
if your reel is set up well and your casting technique is good you should only need to put pressure on the spool at the end of the cast when it's slowing down and about to ditch.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thumb the edge of the spool, not the line. It's a lot more sensitive so you will have to get used with using a lot less pressure, but thumbing the edge of the spool is the correct way an you can stop the spool dead if you want to with the slightest of touches, this is called an educated thumb.

Just ignore the tactless " get a fixed spool" answers, they only say that because they have no real advice to give👍

Mark ..
I don't really know what you mean by this. Can you elaborate on what thumbing the 'edge of the spool' means, please?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I’ve got an old gardening glove I use to thumb the spool if needed, or you can buy finger guards to protect your digits.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't really know what you mean by this. Can you elaborate on what thumbing the 'edge of the spool' means, please?
Think he means instead of touching the line with your thumb "pad",touch the side of the reel spool with the side of your thumb ..

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
member: 205765"]
View attachment 1369518
This bit.
as the line level goes down as you cast, the spool (spinny round bit) will be exposed,and you slide your thumb to one side and slow it down that way
[/QUOTE]

Exactly Ian👍

Mark ..

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Yak dude😳
You need to get off this forum an go learn some very basic terms and techniques from say a book .

If you ask for advice but don't understand , that's not a bad thing but you'll learn a lot more if you can at least understand some basic terminology 👍

I know forums are great places, but at least take the effort to try to learn some basics by yourself.

Forgive me if your very young or have learning difficulties.

Mark ..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yak dude😳
You need to get off this forum an go learn some very basic terms and techniques from say a book .

If you ask for advice but don't understand , that's not a bad thing but you'll learn a lot more if you can at least understand some basic terminology 👍

I know forums are great places, but at least take the effort to try to learn some basics by yourself.

Mark ..
I know what the terminology is ffs. I just wanted to clarify just in case.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
I know what the terminology is ffs. I just wanted to clarify just in case.

Sorry Yak lol
🥴🤪😀😀😀

But when I said thumb the side of the spool there is not much left open to interpretation lol😜😜😜

Once again Yak sorry for thinking you were slow😆😁.

Mark...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yak dude😳

Mark ..
this all day long

1 - 19 of 19 Posts