World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last trip out I lost a decent fish on the FS Mullet 105. At the time I could see that the hook had bent but I only had a quick look with the head-torch in pitch black darkness before changing lures to keep on fishing, so I didn't really take in the level of damage.

Tonight I got round to checking (and changing) the hooks. Here are some before and after pics.

Before... :eek::eek:
FS Mullet Before.jpg

Yep, it's true - the Feed Shallow hooks are made of cheese. Ok, so it was a pretty decent fish, and ok I was probably horsing it in before it was ready, but even so I was surprised to see how mis-shapen they'd become. Note that there isn't that much rust on them, they're just soft... :confused:

FS Hooks.jpg

And after changing the hooks. Good to go again!
FS Mullet After.jpg

I've gone for some heavier gauge wire this time - Owners, but I can't remember what type. But they should do the trick. Here's hoping I get to find out...! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Here's hoping I get to find out...!
I'm quite amazed as to how strong a Bass can be And/Or how weak the hooks sometimes are.

Fished on and off since a kid (Only just started with the Bass obsession!) and never until this year have ever noticed hooks bending.

Changed a few of my lure hooks now .

Here's hoping you've just nailed the problem .............
and you don't have to find out anything to the contrary :).

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Hi Andy if you want rearly strong trebles
Go to chesil bait and tackle
Look at
Owner st 66 tn 4 X
£9.50
But rearly strong
Bazz

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,446 Posts
I have had fish to 3 pound do my hooks in huge swell ,,,
They don't have to be big .....
What I don't get is , even zonk , and feed shallow trebles are hard to bend with pliers ,
Yet a fish in water , being played hard , with a bendy rod can do it ,,,,,,,,
Insane ,,,, imho ..........

Joe had a 9 , pounder , trash his bigger size gun fish trebles , he was lucky to land it ......
They are strong hooks ,,,,, how do fish do it in water ..............
How much pressure is needed , or are some treble s in the same brand of lures dodgy ??? ........

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
What I don't get is , even zonk , and feed shallow trebles are hard to bend with pliers ,

Joe had a 9 , pounder , trash his bigger size gun fish trebles , he was lucky to land it ......
How much pressure is needed , or are some treble s in the same brand of lures dodgy ??? ........
Maybe it's the pressure of the water as well
And the fish running as it hits the lure Mark
Must put a lot of pressure on the treble
Got a £22.50 z claw
With the arse end treble ripped right out
I cast out as u do
Started to retrieve
A couple of twitches
Bam the rod pulls right around to my left
Bends it double
Then ping
Reeled in treble gone
WTF
And had a Phelleps treble snapped off one of the barbs
Bazz

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hooks opening out is often down to the hook not penetrating down to the bend, with the hard mouth of a bass the hook does not always penetrate past the barb and then there is a lot of leverage on the hook and it a lot easier to straighten
The owner st 56 are really strong but I don't think they come in sizes smaller then #4

·
Registered
8,029 Posts

Totally agree, Mark, amazing.

Chatted to a sea trout guy last year who had a decent fish on his rod, with heavy drag, and, when he lost his footing, the fish was dragging him up river, against current!

If a fish can jump out of water - salmon, say - then they are exerting well over their weight in forward thrust, and salmon do this repeatedly, for long fights.
Add in the leverage of a lure wrapped around a fishes head, and your drag rating of 4lbs could be multiplied many fold.

I don't know if the answer is heavy drag, and pulling them in double quick as you and HG favour, or lighter drag to prevent as much leverage force on hooks?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I suspect it's down to leverage. If the circumstances are right i.e. position of the lure body in relation to the hook position and direction of force applied by the fish. I wouldn't expect a fish hooked on the rear treble alone to bend hooks but since it's so long since I hooked up with a decent one, I'm just guessing. The extra leverage is certainly more likely with trebles rather than singles since there aren't the two other bare hooks to work against the lure body. I am in the process of fitting singles to my favourite lures ( cheers guys, you know who you are ) and hoping to avoid the problem.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Haven't had too many hook issues with bass but did have the below while in Mauritius this January. Point snapped clean off a stainless 12/0 by a Marlin. Have the remains hanging on my wall of shame!

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts