World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys little bit of help wanted,anybody got,used or have any feedback on the new 6500 CT mag Hi-speed? Thinking of treating myself to a new reel and was looking at one of these.

Any help appreciated

Baz

·
Registered
210 Posts
Cracking reel!!!
very smooth, tame, easy to control.
Having a ratchet is a big plus.
If your looking for a reel mainly for clean ground then this is great. I wouldnt personally use it rough ground though.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
if u look on ebay there is one for £80

i love mine i have 2 and i think it is without doubt the best reel ive had

G

·
I was steered away from the abu by a friend in the trade,for various reasons,went down the road of 7ht mag,bit more money,but what a piece of kit,no looking back or wondering did I do the right thing,just finished their first season on hounds,took numerous fish to 17lb 2ozs,never left me looking for anything,brilliant to cast with,excellent clutch for playing the mothers when they get angry!
:crazy::wheelchai

·
Banned
17,783 Posts
I sold 2 of these and bought 2 7HT Mags instead.

I found that it was very easy for me to knock the reel back into gear during a cast. The long power handle only needs about a quarter of a turn to re-engage the gears unlike the 7HT Mag which requires 1.25 turns.

Like the others say, the 7HT Mag does not have a ratchet (you can always slacken off the drag instead) but I found it a much better reel to fish with.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Been using a pair of these Hi speed 6500,s for over a year now on both clean and rough ground.
I got rid of my penn 525,s as I believe these reels superior in almost every aspect.Can,t recomend them enough and they cast well,

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Just invested in a 7HT, wow so smooth and you can really hit it hard, I think I am casting 25% further.
Prior to this I have always used Abu's, I really think the modern Abu's construction leaves a lot to be desired. My son has a 6500 power handle, it is so tinny.

For what its worth

FF

·
Registered
220 Posts
I purchased three of these and have now had a refund on one and sold the other two .They are in my opinion absolute rubbish.Buy a Daiwa 7HT ,either the original or the new Mag.Far better build quality and casts as far if not further.

·
Registered
195 Posts
got one last week brilliant :) for boat and shore i highly recomend it :)

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I swear by my my 65 premium mag...Love it.

Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
712 Posts
I, like Andy, own both the hi speed abu, and the 7ht mag.
And while the 7ht is an awesome bit of kit, I always find myself automatically go for the Abu first.

·
Crinkly line
2,643 Posts
Jesus this is making it nice n simple :g:
If your fishing around pompey any time soon mate your welcome to use my 7ht mag, Trust me you will love em.

In the 80's and 90's Abu were the market leaders for a good reason.

But this isn't the 80's or 90's and things have changed for the good.

If they bring back the quality and Take a good look at modern tech and materials They could be good again.

If you ask me Abu have a lot of catching up to do!

·
Mullet Meister???
6,756 Posts
Minor problems with mine but that was down to my own doing and not been able to cast. :yeah: Owned mine since about november and its set up and running just how i like it now. I think its a great reel, i look after it and its a piece of **** to service.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello m8,

ive got the older orange premium 6500 ct mag elite and believe me they are awesome bits of kit in my opinion.
A m8 of mine thats on here, Moofoo, recently got the new 6500 ct mag high-speed and he was impressed with it. He has 7hts and penns aswell but reckons the Abu is the mutts for general fishing and distance fishing.
They are unbelievebly smooth reels that are reliable and lovely to use.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to all for replying,gone with what i know (abu) appreciate the offer Steve but you really don't want me putting the evils on your area ;).Did a decent enough deal got one for 90 quid so hopefully i'll be able to blood it at live fish (jesus that sounded almost confident)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Been using a pair of these Hi speed 6500,s for over a year now on both clean and rough ground.
I got rid of my penn 525,s as I believe these reels superior in almost every aspect.Can,t recomend them enough and they cast well,
Rough ground? Have Abu changed the gearing for these reels then? All other Abu shore reels have [email protected] gears. I use the Penn 525 mags. Built like a tank, and cope with anything you chuck at them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts