World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i keep lugworm in tanks of water i change it regular but as we all know after a short while they turn into balloons full of water
has anybody tried feeding them? and if so what with or is it no go o_O

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
With out a filtration system in place, feeding them and the waste will pollute the water. Regular change of fresh Sea Water at the same temperature as the tank, I am sure they feed on microscopic animals and plants in the water, that will keep them happy, until you use them for bait.

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
ive kept blow lug for a month in trays of seawater changing it regu!larly never fed them and also never. known them to take on seawater .... they purge themselves of sand in the first few days ..... two days before use i drain them out and lay them in the middle pages of a newspaper in a cat litter tray overnight .....next morning i tip them off the newspaper into another cat litter tray containing woodshavings (pet shop , unscented) back into fridge with only a fingers stir every few hours , this process dries them out enough to make a delicious juice dripping bait that is awesome for allsorts of species ...... especially diddy congers ...😠😠😠🤣

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
I wonder if marine worms are used to a slightly stronger salt solution at the seabed than average seawater or is it they lack support from their tunnel walls ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for your replies. in my area the bait beds are in most areas dug out and the bait in the shops can be a week old as the diggers dig each day and tank the worms till delivery. getting them up to tip top condition is the aim as we all know fresh dug worm takes the fish.

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
Ive kept them in shallow trays of sea water in the fridge for over 1 month. As long as the water is changed every couple of days they will be fine. In 50 years ive never found the need to use water the same temp. I collect it in buckets and change it straight from the garage floor. Ive never lost a worm of any kind because of this.
I dont like to use any worm straight from the water except whiteworm. I find all worms [except whites] too soft and awkward from the water especially in the winter. Worms put on trays of paper [not over crowded. will firm up for use]
Worms do take on water. They use it to flush toxins from their body. ragworm especially will make the water feel sticky after a couple of days.
Ive tried feeding worms years ago. It wasnt touched and polluted the water. I used tropical fish flake. I tried feeding ragworm with sea weed which they love. But in trays it didnt get touched. The first thing worms do in trays of water is purge themselves of sand and clean their skin. And bits of sand in the trays soom becomes clogged with slime as they attempt to form holes in it. Then they dont even touch it and it shoud be removed from your trays. If you kept putting shallow sand in the trays after a couple of hours of tunneling in it, it will need removing.
I did know a guy who kept blacks in a deep tup of sand. They cast as usual but didnt last any longer.
Lugworm bought from a shop rarely if ever go back into water. Maby if you knew that they were fresh dug that day and how they were handled, they might.
If you get a dead worm in your trays, your days are numbered espcialy if the water is coloured. If this happens i put them in fresh water, leave it half an hour for them to flush it through. Then put them back into clean water. Usually once theyve got this far i just let thm flush and transfer them to paper. Ill then get a couple of days from them.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Properly managed there isnt really a time limit on keeping them alive .....with rag you can even watch as they grow new tips to their tails ...
How long have you managed to keep Rag for Rouge ?, I've never bothered keeping them for long as we can get them easily here I'm just interested in how long they'd last in trays of water in a fridge.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
How long have you managed to keep Rag for Rouge ?, I've never bothered keeping them for long as we can get them easily here I'm just interested in how long they'd last in trays of water in a fridge.
I put a mini 3cm ragworm* in my 20l prawn aquarium expecting it to be prawn food but when i cleaned the gravel 12 months later a healthy 12.5cm rag was found. :)

* crawled out of some driftwood i was drying !

·
Registered
6,053 Posts
I've dug them first week in august to bring them to the festival in october and then brought the ones i didnt use home again and put them back in the trays in the fridge till our next club comp two weeks later ......so at least ten weeks i reckon mate (y)

·
Registered
11,666 Posts
Ive recently had a couple of trays of ragworm for 3 months. They were as good as fresh dug when i eventually used them so they would have gone a lot longer. I usually change the water every couple of days but on 3 occasions i was going away for a week or two. I was going to give them away but thought id just leave them to see if they survived. I reduced the numbers to 10 per tray. When i got back each time they were fine with no losses.
Ive had whitworm for over 6 months and then sold them on as fresh.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts