World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished from 14:00 - 19:00 High water was at 19:35, Light north easterly, baits lug, mackie, squid. - Best bait mackie, lug/mackie tip.

Caught loads of pin whiting 10+ with a mega beady rig (ten 5mm beads on each snood size 4 hooks) fish were going wild for the beads, my mate fished non beaded (he said my rig looked like a necklace!) and was blanking so i gave him a beady rig and before his weight had settled he had a bite, i think the fish were chasing the beads through the water like lures form then on we both continued to catch little whiting - wish i d brought a spinning rod and a lure.
we both baited up for the last time and I went and gave the rest of my bait to what I pressume was the Felixstowe SAC gents, as I was returning to my rod, i noticed my mate had reeled it in and was looking a bit sheepish apparently I had had a little bite - which he had left for me but then a few minutes later there had been an enormous bite that had nearly took it off the rod rest, My mate (eric) had started reeling in but only got it half way (he could really feel it kicking as he was reeling ) the line went light and it was all over. big bass? big cod? I will never know the hooks came back bare :doh: :cry: :wallbash:
I guess something had taken the hooked whiting?

lots of crab action and I found an albino crab.a good session if a little frustrating all fish returned but I wish I had live baited a couple now!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Good report Sharkey! We'll never know what grabbed what but I can relate to your experience. There are quite a few "what ifs" in my fishing history!! It's what dreams are made of!!
Interesting what you say about the beads, because a few nights ago my heavily beaded and sequined clipped-up flattie rig outfished by far four other rods. My rig looked like something from "Come Dancing", and the rod did'nt stop "jigging" up and down until we packed up and went home at about midnight!!!
THANK COD FOR FISHING!!!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Nice report, Sharkey, and a pretty fair amount of whiting, too:) ! I think I've caught less whiting this year than you got on one day (surprised you didn't get the ubiquitous mini-codling that make up the bulk of my catches). So, not only entertaining and well-written, but informative: maybe beads and a bit of mackerel will up my whiting catches:g: . What species are you looking to target next, now that the winter fishing is ending? Having only started at Felixstowe since the New Year, I don't know what to expect for the warmer months.

All the best,

Shortcaster

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
im gonna go for the big bass from felixstowe. try to get a few sole from same place, but have faired better at shingle street. in the river on the boat goin for bass too - thats what ill be doin this summer! mostly in the boat, but will probs have a few shore sessions, then back to the beaches more regularly in the autum. my year mapped out lol, well done sharkey mate, ive found beads to attract the old whiting, but i never seem to get many cod with beads on, so i took them all off. :) cheers Josh

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers gentlemen.

SHORTCASTER - Iam going to be looking for a few decent bass and some flattys from felixstowe this summer, last year a few big bass came out so thats what I will be trying for, plus Felixstowe can throw up the odd suprise so hopefully a new species for the year, as there is quite a bit of sand in felixstowe maybe a sole too - fingers crossed!

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Josh - I find beeds dont help with codling either

1 - 7 of 7 Posts