World Sea Fishing Forums banner

ferrybridge yesterday evening

976 views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Tipper 
#1 ·
So when those loveable chaps at metcheck said 7mph WSW, what they actually meant was 20 odd mph southerly, curse their scaley hides. Anyway, after a 1 3/4 hour drive I wasn't going to give up.
On my way down for my first cast I found a portugese man o war washed up, never seen one before, it was well cool.

Couldn't really see bites in the wind, but I did manage 3 bream on flappers, and a scad on feathers before dark.

Once it got dark I was absolutely plagued by poor cod and a solitary pout so decided to put out a whole squid and rag bait on a pennel and shortly after got what I think is a baby huss. It certainly had lots of pointy bits in its mouth and the markings look a bit different to most doggies but I stand to be corrected?

Got fed up with the wind after that and packed up about 10. I always thought you could get back to the car park at all states of the tide but either you can't or I got a bit lost, and ended up wading thigh deep through the fleet to get back to the car! Luckily I wasn't pulled over driving home in my pants and thought it best to forego my usual stop for a mars bar half way home to keep me awake, in case the garage attendent pressed the panic button!

See less See more
#4 ·
nice session, does look like a baby huss to me aswell.

#6 ·
Nice one Tipper. Still to catch a huss. Who knows, maybe I have in the past and never looked closely enough to tell, so well spotted (excuse the punn!).

Gotta watch that fleet tide. Lags behind the open sea so that at low tide its still flooding out. Been caught out a few times myself.

#7 ·
Nice haul there tipper, did you have a problem with the shingle covering and eating your tackle? there must have been a heavy sea running. I thought you had nice collection of fish in your album as well, before I realised you had 3 pages!!

I got three weeks to go before I get out my cast and I cant thnk about anything other than fishing!

#8 ·
Nice haul there tipper, did you have a problem with the shingle covering and eating your tackle? there must have been a heavy sea running. I thought you had nice collection of fish in your album as well, before I realised you had 3 pages!!

I got three weeks to go before I get out my cast and I cant thnk about anything other than fishing!
Yeah there was a big sea running but I kept the rods well back from the sea to give me extra height and was banging it out as far as I could (probably only about 70-80 yds in that head wind) so I didn't have any trouble with being buried.
As an aside there were fluff chuckers standing right at the edge fishing, it's only a matter of time before one gets swept in, by the backwash from a big wave, and I know from when I used to dive chesil cove how difficult it is to get out again with even a moderate sea running. Muppets!

#9 ·
Hi all, I'm visiting Portland this weekend and from the report am interested in fishing Ferry bridge one night. I know where ferry bridge is but not where fishes best. Do you actually fish below the bridge either into the fleet or harbor or do you fish actually on Chesil just in line with the bridge?..Any replies very much appreciated, I've also started another thread asking for advice so if anyone would be kind enough to give me some info I'd be more than grateful.

Thanks

#10 ·
Hi all, I'm visiting Portland this weekend and from the report am interested in fishing Ferry bridge one night. I know where ferry bridge is but not where fishes best. Do you actually fish below the bridge either into the fleet or harbor or do you fish actually on Chesil just in line with the bridge?..Any replies very much appreciated, I've also started another thread asking for advice so if anyone would be kind enough to give me some info I'd be more than grateful.

Thanks
Fishing is into the sea not the fleet. Try this site http://www.weymouthangling.f9.co.uk/chesil.html

There are a few other decent sites on the web for info if you google chesil beach fishing.

#13 ·
Tipper,

Please can you stop fishing you are making me jealous. No seriously you have pulled off another cracker of a session. Catch up with you soon?:notworthy

Woodster

#14 ·
Myself and a friend fished chesil yesterday from about 11am till 5pm I was the numpty in the Yellow jacket fishing what seemed like 70 miles up the beach . The tide was up when we got there , so the fleet was full . Now that put a good walk on the session , but on the way back to the car :clap2:, makes all the difference . There was a lot fishing considering the wind .

I did have a good day though , hooly winds, big waves , no fish , just like fishing at home

#15 ·
well done mate****makes me wanna a bream even more now,,will br heading down very soon..def a huss mate i've had a couple like that and always dissmissed them as doggies,,but the spots give it away and if it had some teeth then surely a huss well done again mate,,,catch up soon,,,,,,,

#17 ·
The best way to check of it is a Huss or a dogfish is to check the nasal flaps in front of the mouth , Huss have two separate flaps , dogfish have one continuous flap.Lots of dogfish have huss type spots , and both huss and dogfish have teeth!!!.
Thanks for that, I'd wondered what the easiest way to differentiate them was. I remember thinking the nasal flaps looked different when I was unhooking it but couldn't work out why.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.