World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Few sea fishing questions

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  equilibro 
1. It's for casting hard (i.e. anything overhead, anything other than an underarm swing thing like you may use on a pier), especially in public places or near other anglers. Use 10lb B/S for each 1oz that you're casting, so a 5oz lead and half oz bait would require a 60lb shockleader because they don't make 55lb. Use a length at least approx double the rod length. They're also useful when handlining your catch up onto a pier or rock where the rod wouldn't happily take the strain, the thick line is much easier to grip.
2. Nope, I'm not local. Read/ask in your local regional section of the site.
3. Read the wholeee bait section of the site for ideas, and see what baits are mentioned in your local regional section's catch reports.
4. Idk I never used them can't see anything wrong with using a fixed spool and never getting a birdsnest.
5. Rinse before drying, store on top of the fridge where the warm air comes up until totally dry. Oil the line roller every session or two and wipe off excess.
6. I'm using Rovex "freshwater" fixed spool reels and they haven't corroded or malfunctioned at all in the 1 year I've had them.. Keep checking tacklebargains for discounted items, then Goggle reviews. Some (not all so I'm told) rods are only intended to use one reel type or the other so could be best to stick with what you have. If the reels you have are perfectly good then consider investing in braid line instead, it resists sunlight so you don't have to replace it (at least) every year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.