World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Few sea fishing questions

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  equilibro 
Hi. A shockleader is to stop line snapping when you cast. Not to avoid snag breaks. You should use about 25ft of line 10lb per ounce of lead your casting.

A multiplier in good hands will cast further. A multiplier in novice hands will be a time bomb. Stick with fixed spool till you are a bit more confident in casting and such. I don't use multis anymore as just can't get on with them. Personal choice of course but a birds best can ruin a trip.
Modern fixed spools cast just as well with good technique.
A rinse after a tip in cold water and left to dry us good. Plus a periodic piling on bearings and roller is all they need.

If you want a new fixed spool look at the shimano range, 6000 or 7000 size. Don't mean to sound rude but as a novice you will get on better with smaller size. You can always upgrade at a later stage. Plus those size reels can serve as multi purpose.
I have a 5500 big pit shimano reel I use for beachcasting and pier fishing. Perfect for clean ground with lighter lines. I know I can't and dont particularly want to cast miles out. So why bother having a huge reel. I have a larger shimano with thicker line for rough ground.

Enjoy :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.