World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Few sea fishing questions

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  equilibro 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
Hi. A shockleader is to stop line snapping when you cast. Not to avoid snag breaks. You should use about 25ft of line 10lb per ounce of lead your casting.

A multiplier in good hands will cast further. A multiplier in novice hands will be a time bomb. Stick with fixed spool till you are a bit more confident in casting and such. I don't use multis anymore as just can't get on with them. Personal choice of course but a birds best can ruin a trip.
Modern fixed spools cast just as well with good technique.
A rinse after a tip in cold water and left to dry us good. Plus a periodic piling on bearings and roller is all they need.

If you want a new fixed spool look at the shimano range, 6000 or 7000 size. Don't mean to sound rude but as a novice you will get on better with smaller size. You can always upgrade at a later stage. Plus those size reels can serve as multi purpose.
I have a 5500 big pit shimano reel I use for beachcasting and pier fishing. Perfect for clean ground with lighter lines. I know I can't and dont particularly want to cast miles out. So why bother having a huge reel. I have a larger shimano with thicker line for rough ground.

Enjoy :)

#3 ·
1. It's for casting hard (i.e. anything overhead, anything other than an underarm swing thing like you may use on a pier), especially in public places or near other anglers. Use 10lb B/S for each 1oz that you're casting, so a 5oz lead and half oz bait would require a 60lb shockleader because they don't make 55lb. Use a length at least approx double the rod length. They're also useful when handlining your catch up onto a pier or rock where the rod wouldn't happily take the strain, the thick line is much easier to grip.
2. Nope, I'm not local. Read/ask in your local regional section of the site.
3. Read the wholeee bait section of the site for ideas, and see what baits are mentioned in your local regional section's catch reports.
4. Idk I never used them can't see anything wrong with using a fixed spool and never getting a birdsnest.
5. Rinse before drying, store on top of the fridge where the warm air comes up until totally dry. Oil the line roller every session or two and wipe off excess.
6. I'm using Rovex "freshwater" fixed spool reels and they haven't corroded or malfunctioned at all in the 1 year I've had them.. Keep checking tacklebargains for discounted items, then Goggle reviews. Some (not all so I'm told) rods are only intended to use one reel type or the other so could be best to stick with what you have. If the reels you have are perfectly good then consider investing in braid line instead, it resists sunlight so you don't have to replace it (at least) every year.

#4 ·
Hi ,

I'm sure some will disagree , but if you are casting overhead with cheap soft rods 20/25lb line will be fine , you don't need a shockleader : just regularly control the last few meters of your mainline for damages , and re-ty the knott to the rig after every session .... if you cast anything like a power cast , then a shockleader is a must (10lb of braking strength for each oz of lead!) especially on crowdy piers !
You won't cast further with a multiplier , especially as a beginner ...
As said : rince and put your reels to dry after every session , give the line roller a drop of oil and they will last for a long time .

Cheers , Gert

#5 ·
Eliminate risk and use a shockleader , use fixed spools for now and avoid braid ,,, for now ,,, try to keep frozen fish bait as cold as poss until needed , fully thawed it will go mushy as you state , ice blocks or wide neck thermos helps , use two rods with different baits and combinations to suss out what works for ur area at different times , stick it out with the baits you have been using so far , be nosy and chat to other users there to see what they use , ask questions here re fishing spots in your area in the site relating to it and good luck . There are more than one good reason for using a shock leader than casting alone particularly for you as has been outlined above .

G
#6 ·
All good advice there from the above. I would just add that you have one of if not the best tackle shop/online services in the country on your doorstep. Veals. Outstanding shop and will answer absolutely anything you need to know about your area.

Sy

G
#8 ·
what makes a good fixed spool reel?
How long is a piece of fishing line?

Reel choice depends to a very great extent on what kind of sea-fishing you aim to do; any kind of one fits all approach will just give you trouble. So a) harbour, pier, rocks, beach, estuary, boat, and b) freeline, float, ledger/paternoster, lure, jig? Perm any one from b) with any one from a) and that's your starter for ten.

Then it's a case of which manufacturer. Pretty much all you can do is take advice from as many different sources as you can. Personally, I would never look beyond Shimano but there are other reputable makes. Personally again, I would never buy a second hand reel. In the final analysis, I think you could do a lot worse than just buying the most expensive, suitable, new reel that your budget will stretch to.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.