World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just bought a 10ft Fiberglass boat and I need to do a little bit of Fiber-glassing on it. I have done fiber-glassing before and No what to do etc.

Just want to know where I can get a Kit online if possible? I need to repair a couple of holes and a little bit of work on the deck...

Also what filler would you use to fill the holes before Fiber-glassing over the area?

Many thanks,

Greg

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, Cheers for the replys :thumbs: Bought a Little Kit off Ebay :clap:

While i have this thread open... Can you buy Marine Plywood from the big name DIY Shops, B & Q, Homebase, Wickes etc?

Greg

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Hi, Cheers for the replys :thumbs: Bought a Little Kit off Ebay :clap:

While i have this thread open... Can you buy Marine Plywood from the big name DIY Shops, B & Q, Homebase, Wickes etc?

Greg
why would you want marine ply? its very expensive to buy. a sheet could cost anywhere between £50-80 a sheet.

i use 18mm wbp ply on all my boats and repairs on other boats.

i used to work at a boat building company and we always used wbp ply and coat the underside with primer or resin and the top will be covered in glass and flowcoat.

we only used marine ply on boats that were being used as commercial fishing boats ie trawlers , crabbing boats etc.

all the commercial rod and line charter boats we built had 18mm wbp ply for the decks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
why would you want marine ply? its very expensive to buy. a sheet could cost anywhere between £50-80 a sheet.

i use 18mm wbp ply on all my boats and repairs on other boats.

i used to work at a boat building company and we always used wbp ply and coat the underside with primer or resin and the top will be covered in glass and flowcoat.

we only used marine ply on boats that were being used as commercial fishing boats ie trawlers , crabbing boats etc.

all the commercial rod and line charter boats we built had 18mm wbp ply for the decks.
got to agree and some of the marine ply quality nowdays is no better than wbp also if you buy it from b & q etc you'll pay twice the price of your local wood yard

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok cheers for replys :thumbs: saved me some money!

I was Going to use marine ply for an area around the Keel, Seen as it would be in contact with water alot of the time. (The Previous owner just had ordinary Plywood and Cheap Varnish and as you can imagine was Completely Rotten all the way through) However if its not worth if I won't bother! Instead just Treat it with something Like "Deks Olje" and Fiberglass it in?

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts