World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Im in the process of glassing in new stringers for my new deck.
Im using the method as shown in the diagram below.
The problem I'm having is that I cant seem to keep the glass matt stuck down on the top of the stringer once i have 'stippled' the section up the vertical part with a brush and resin. should I maybe let the resin ive painted on to the wood fist, go off a bit before putting the matt on?
Im I using the correct method or should be laying up the matt differently??
I new I should of bought the 'How to Fiberglass' manual!!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated?

P.S are there any 'how to fiberglass' websites with good diagrams?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
for awkward sections when using fibreglass i paint the resin onto clingfilm first, then lay the matting onto this and paint more resin onto it. you can then pick up the clingfilm and hold it all in position until it starts to go off, you just peel back the clingfilm and job done. it even leaves the surface smooth for next piece to go onto. hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Beefy you are onto a hiding to nothing trying to get glassmat to go round tight corners! All you will get is white air pockets & no contact. You either have to "radius" the corners as much as you can, then it will go, or you have to "tease out" the glass so that it is much more "open" in the weave.
If you can put a radius on your stringer corners thats the best way, you can also "pre-wet" the glassmat on a non absorbant surface, & lay it on the wetted area, that will help as well.
blueskip

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Agree with the above, there is no way to get mat to go round a 90 degree bend, either internal or external.

I would radius the tops of the stringers with a half inch rounding over bit in a router or plane and sand a radius onto it before offering it up to the boat.

Where the stringer meets the hull I would use thickened epoxy to bed it down onto and to join stringer to hull. Then using the same mixture create a radius between the stringer and hull. Use a bit of timber shaped to the radius you want to smooth out the epoxy. As well as fixing it in pace this method will give it a load of strength and leave the rounded internal corner you need for the glass matting to follow.

Then use the glass and resin to cover and strengthen the stringer.

If you use Polyester resin on the cloth to bond it and the epoxy has gone off solid it is a good idea to give it a really good key with coarse sandpaper to ensure a bond between the two. Better would be to use the epoxy to wet out the glass without the thickening powder.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Beefy you are onto a hiding to nothing trying to get glassmat to go round tight corners! All you will get is white air pockets & no contact. You either have to "radius" the corners as much as you can, then it will go, or you have to "tease out" the glass so that it is much more "open" in the weave.
If you can put a radius on your stringer corners thats the best way, you can also "pre-wet" the glassmat on a non absorbant surface, & lay it on the wetted area, that will help as well.
blueskip

Blueskip has it right. You need to radius the external corners with a router or something and use plastocine and a wet finger to form a similar radius to the internal corners. Then try stippling the resin into the glass matt rather than trying to paint it on. Also, use a paddle roller to spread the resin out evenly, you don't need to get the matt sopping wet with resin, just evenly wetted out. Finally, reduce the catalyst down a bit so you can take your time, even when the resin starts to gel you can still get 10 more minutes out of it. Once you get confident, up the catalyst!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the advise. Ive alreay stuck the stringers in place, so radiusing the external corners is out. I'll see how the strength is by glassing the sides only and giving the top surface a couple of coats of resin to seal it all up.
Just waiting on the milled fibres arriving to make the tickened resin to radius the internal corners.

Cheers.

·
Registered
220 Posts
if you just coat the top with resin it will crack and let water in between the stringer and the matting. maybe you could use woven mat over the top

1 - 9 of 9 Posts