World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Having been schooled by an expert in the proper way to fillet fish, I have now become quite good at it.

However, I have just been told that to keep the flesh white, once dispatched, the gills of the fish should be cut to let the fish bleed.

Any thoughts please.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
890 Posts
drew.
make sure you cut the gills quickly otherwise the heart wont pump the blood out.
charter skippers cut the tail of flat fish(turbot etc) which seems to do the same job.
another one for you.
dont gut bass as soon as you catch them,they keep better with the guts in.
according to our local fish market.

B

·
0 Posts
Drew said:
Hi folks,

Having been schooled by an expert in the proper way to fillet fish, I have now become quite good at it.
Only "QUITE GOOD" Drew!

Modest with it too eh? :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I cut the heads off and gut any fish to take home while on the beach, rinse in the sea. Mind you, they are few and far between now.

·
Registered
75 Posts
alright mate, explain that gill cutting thing please mate... used to work on a trawler then a fish merchants and never heard of that method. we used to gut the fish straight away, keep them cool then fillet them a day or three later and the meat was still as fresh as a daisy... can't comment on bass, don't get many of them up this way!
take it easy

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Oh to catch a fish BIG ENOUGH to fillet!!

Just a point, when I did clean a fish before leaving the shore (using the guts etc. as groundbait or crab attractants) I always washed it in seawater. I've since read that you should always do this in FRESH water and never sea water. Any expert comments?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts