World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I've had a look through the old threads for something on filleting knives, I can't find anything.

Having seen an expert filleting fish on Saturday, I have decided to purchase myself a decent filleting knife. There are lots of them about but what one would you recommend. I don't want to spend my money on rubbish, I don't mind paying out for something decent.

Cheers

Drew

B

·
0 Posts
Having seen an expert filleting fish on Saturday, I have decided to purchase myself a decent filleting knive :)

Drew, it takes more than just a good knife to fillet a fish :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a Marttiini filleting knife for years and it was a great knife. It's the one with the wooden handle and leather sheath. Had a flexible easy to sharpen blade and held it's edge very well.
Penn

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Osprey,

I couldn't agree with you more.

I have been using one for years, and will continue to do so for general bait cutting etc. However when I watched this guy last Saturday using a proper filleting knive, he made it look so easy.

I had a go with it myself and found it a doddle compared to my own knife, which, I may add was extremely sharp. Hence the reason for asking what knives did the members recommend.

Some of the ones I saw had very soft steel blades, that required sharpening every few minutes, while some others had good quality steel blades. Very few had a manufacturers name.

I just want one to use solely for filleting i.e. if I can continue to catch.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lidle have a fishing special started this Monday popped in to have a look spent £56 not the best gear on the market but it meets my needs I got the filleting set 3 knives, weighing scales, cuting board and swiss army knife contained in a neat carrying case £4.99

F

·
0 Posts
Whatever knife you choose just make sure you don't slip with it! I did this weekend and i now have two stitches and a one in cut into the palm of my hand :eek:

Bloomin sore i can tell ya

·
Registered
437 Posts
hi as sanctuary... said lidl has a set and they are very good i baught 2 £4.99

clive

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Folks,

Thank you to all who advised on a filleting knife.

I finally purchased one yesterday: A Marttiini 7.5" Condor from www.toptrout.co.uk £24.44 + £1.95 P&P.

Last night I did a "Jim Bowie" and shaved my arm with it, too frightened to try my throat!!!.

I will give you a report on how I managed with it this coming weekend (provided that the Pollock or Cod or even Bass co-operate).

Once again thank you all.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
437 Posts
hi drew,

glad you got one m8 im not saying nout about the price though,get yourself a sharpning stone one that will fit in your tackel box REMBER THOUGH WHEN YOU SHARPEN THE KNIFE LIGHT PRESSURE STROKES EVENLY ON BOTH SIDES IF YOU USE HARD PRESSURE YOU WILL BLUNT IT MORE THAN SHARPEN IT, AND WEAR THE BLADE DOWN IN NO TIME AT ALL.
CHEERS CLIVE.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Clive,

Thank you for your advice, I've just come back from our local tool shop and they recommend one of these diamond impregnated sharpening devices, any comments please.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
437 Posts
hi drew,
dont know about those ones m8 all ive ever used is a wet stone and use the fine side of the stone not the rough put some duck tape over the rough side for ease of use. like i said get one to fit in your tackel box all you need to do then is spit on the stone and away you go.

PS. WATCH YA FINGERS.......CLIVE

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Folks,

My new knife was well tested yesterday. I filleted six large Pollock to 14lbs and it was a dream to use and worth every penny that I spent.

Compared to my old boning knife this was luxurious, I know that it was brand new and razor sharp and that time will tell, but I can assure those that don't use a proper filleting knife it is worth getting one.

Once again thank you all for your views.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
129 Posts
About the diamond sharpening stones, I use them for sharpening my stonecarving chisels, (tungsten tipped chisels as well, a normal sharpening stone won't deal with those!) and they are great and last ages. I know they do loads of different grades for fine to rough blades. Anyway they are expensive but if used often they are they are worth the price.
Penn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts