World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a row of small holes on both sides of my boat where the clips for the old cover were screwed on, obviously above the waterline, but just below the top of the gunnels, whats the best product to fill them, the boat is painted over gelcoat (grp boat)

Thanks, Rob.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have a row of small holes on both sides of my boat where the clips for the old cover were screwed on, obviously above the waterline, but just below the top of the gunnels, whats the best product to fill them, the boat is painted over gelcoat (grp boat)

Thanks, Rob.
All you need is a bit of gelcoat filler, you can pretty much get it from any car panel shop

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Remove any raised gellcoat caused by the fixings, clean out the hole using acetone. Fill the hole with gelcoat filler then place a piece of clear sticky tape over the top. push on the tape to force the filler into the hole and smooth the repair out. Remove the tape once cured.
Very little sanding will be required if you get it right.

For slightly larger holes you may need to pre-fill them with a GRP paste before applying the gelcoat filler.
One of the best products for this is Suncure Fiberfil as it is available in small tubes and goes off in a couple of minutes in sunlight. It is sold for surfboard repair but is fantastic for small boat repairs - no mixing required
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007T71D...de=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B007T71DBW

·
Registered
201 Posts
Remove any raised gellcoat caused by the fixings, clean out the hole using acetone. Fill the hole with gelcoat filler then place a piece of clear sticky tape over the top. push on the tape to force the filler into the hole and smooth the repair out. Remove the tape once cured.
Very little sanding will be required if you get it right.

For slightly larger holes you may need to pre-fill them with a GRP paste before applying the gelcoat filler.
One of the best products for this is Suncure Fiberfil as it is available in small tubes and goes off in a couple of minutes in sunlight. It is sold for surfboard repair but is fantastic for small boat repairs - no mixing required
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007T71D...de=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B007T71DBW
i guess this is how i should of put my post :blink:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys, gibberfish, spot on advice, and much appreciated the link, another job soon to be crossed of the list.

Thankyou.

Rob.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts