World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just found and bought a solid metal digging fork on ebay for a mere £9.99 delivered! It has now arrived and is carbon steel prongs and a tubular steel shaft with a metal handle with wooden grip for comfort, the whole assembly is welded and has a hard hammered coating. I have sprayed mine internally from the top with liquid grease and rotated the fork to distribute the stuff to aid longevity.

I used to use the power forks that were available at B&Q and I am going back a bit lol. Then bought a fancy top name stainless steel fork but it is far too flexible for my digging needs.

I do not know how long this will last but at the price point it is offered for I have no issues buying one every year!

Link is here and I have no affiliations with the seller; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garden-Digging-Spade-Fork-Shovel-Border-Edging-Farm-Steel-Tools/253258531672?var=&hash=item3af7628358

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you used it yet, and is a fork much better than a spade as that's what I use just now.
Not yet as the tides and time have not been in my favour, will try it out this weekend hopefully. I never could grasp the use of a spade as I found it made the sand much heavier as the spade did not allow the water to be released from each spit of sand and I ended up chopping the worms up as the sand can be quite convoluted with worms so the prongs would reduce the chance of this happening, I commend you on mastering it though.

Dug a bit of the garden over with it and it's nice to find a fork that responds to my efforts, rather than giving and bending, therefore wasting some of the effort that I put into it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi John , how is the fork performing ? mine met its end last week looking for a replacement.
Absolutely spot on, it has just enough "give" that allows you to lift the whole spit rather than it break in bits on the way out, dependent upon the sands constitution. Sure wish it had flat tines as that would be the icing on the cake for me and at there current price I would not complain if it only lasted a year or two as it will be money well spent.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Absolutely spot on, it has just enough "give" that allows you to lift the whole spit rather than it break in bits on the way out, dependent upon the sands constitution. Sure wish it had flat tines as that would be the icing on the cake for me and at there current price I would not complain if it only lasted a year or two as it will be money well spent.
Thanks for getting back , i'll push out the boat and get one as you say cant go wrong for a tenner...and you're right those power forks from b &q were excellent why did they discontinue them ? left mine behind after digging one day shot back 20 mins later ...gone ! .

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have read this post somewhere before, for digging lug worm you need a wide tines fork (potatoe fork ) narrow tines for digging rag in rough stoney ground

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hopefully you get on well with the fork mate.
The link you put up doesn't say about a tenner delivered though, on my screen it's saying combined about £26.59 which is in the range of bulldog gear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts