World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday i finally got down too the beach and had a couple of hours fishing.

Luckily for me just before high tide another chap was setting up and after a little embarrassment i went over and asked for some advice,glad i did as he was very helpful and was happy too talk me through a few things and gave some sound advice....top bloke,unfortunately i clean forgot too ask his name :oops:

After a couple of pitiful casts the chap walked down and showed me how too cast which was an immense help,I'm feeling much more confident with the casts now after been shown.

Didn't catch anything but the casting practice was needed and even just baiting up with worms...no doubt second nature once you done it after a few sessions.

The chap who i was asking advice caught a very small Bass and very kindly wandered down and showed my twins,there only 2.5yrs old so as you can imagine that made there day (as i heard all the way home ....lol).

So all in all a smashing introduction too sea fishing and luckily im away too a little place just outside Cromer next week so cant wait too go...if i catch it"ll be the icing on the cake...if i blank its all practice so will be still chuffed.:happy:

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thanks for nothing.

You got me all excited with talk of popping your cherry and you're talking about fishing........

Just joshing dude.

I've only been fishing for 5-6 months and there's not a single person that I've met on the beach that hasn't been very helpful or at least willing to speak to me about their experiences.

Don't ever be afraid of asking for help man. I've increased my fishing potential no end by speaking with other peeps. Not that I really know what I'm doing even now but I'd be more than willing, and have done in fact, to speak with anyone asking me anything about fishing.

Read ALLLLLLLLLLLLL the pages on this web site that give you info about tackle, bait, tactics, marks and everything else. I found it really helpful.

No question on this forum is too stupid - trust me I've asked a lot of 'em.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Well done on your first trip. Its a superb hobby to have, the great outdoors, helpful happy people in the main and just a damn good way to get a decent adrenalin rush without jumping out of a plane.

I love it, and give it a few more sessions when your getting those worms on the hook blindfolded without a baiting needle, you'll be well and truly hooked.

First fish? Get yourself to somewhere thats a bit out to sea like a man made peir or outside harbour wall. No need for distance casting and with rag worm fished close to the structure, you'll stand a good chance of picking up something like a wrasse, mackerel, scad, bass, mullet etc etc.

Well done on your post!

Richard

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well done on getting started. Never be afraid to ask. I`ve not met an angler yet who doesn`t like talking about fishing and has not been willing to help if asked. Sometimes its difficult to stop them :blahblah::)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Sometimes its difficult to stop them :blahblah::)

Without wanting to jump into a massive pool of irony and make myself sound like an idiot, let me just say....

I've got a story or two about that; what should have taken 20-30 mins took 5-6 hours 'cause I couldn't get away. That's all I'm saying.

It reinforces the point though - we do all enjoy talking about the sport.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers guys for the replies.

Must say it was a great feeling yesterday...works quite stressful (15 hour night shifts) and with a promotion today its going too get even more,so looking at the fishing as my ""chill time"" with the added benefit the wife might get supper out of it if I'm lucky so double bonus.

As suggested im going too try the Pier when down Cromer...although im told that can get quite busy so will try and get some more practice on a quite beach first.

Still a huge amount i need too learn so no doubt will be asking umpteen questions now...lol.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Without wanting to jump into a massive pool of irony and make myself sound like an idiot, let me just say....

I've got a story or two about that; what should have taken 20-30 mins took 5-6 hours 'cause I couldn't get away. That's all I'm saying.

It reinforces the point though - we do all enjoy talking about the sport.
Ahh but too newbies like me its all valuable information.....:1a:

·
Registered
734 Posts
As suggested im going too try the Pier when down Cromer...although im told that can get quite busy so will try and get some more practice on a quite beach first.

QUOTE]

When I first started I've got to admit I was a little worried about looking a muppet when I was doing my thing (ok, I still am now) but honestly it wouldn't surprise me if every single person there not only isn't bothered about fishing next to anyone, let alone a newbie, but would actively encourage you in some way if given the opportunity. You've got just as much right to be there as any other bar steward so don't be put off by your relative inexperience mate.

If it weren't a 200-mile trip I'd come and fish with you. :love:

It is though so, if it needed saying, I'm not going to. :doh:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

QUOTE]

When I first started I've got to admit I was a little worried about looking a muppet when I was doing my thing (ok, I still am now) but honestly it wouldn't surprise me if every single person there not only isn't bothered about fishing next to anyone, let alone a newbie, but would actively encourage you in some way if given the opportunity. You've got just as much right to be there as any other bar steward so don't be put off by your relative inexperience mate.

If it weren't a 200-mile trip I'd come and fish with you. :love:

It is though so, if it needed saying, I'm not going to. :doh:
Ahhh you lightweight...i used too do Frome and back in a night on my motorbike few years back.....and that was just for fun.:2:

Seriously though its good too hear that other folks wont be looking down there noses at a beginner.

I found in the Carp circles it seemed like every bugger was out for themselves and never really enjoyed it...so didn't pursue it.

Cromer 11th/12th and then IOW 21/25 sept....with a few vists around Hunstanton/Yarmouth in between hopefully....cant blooming wait.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Cromer 11th/12th and then IOW 21/25 sept....with a few vists around Hunstanton/Yarmouth in between hopefully....cant blooming wait.[/QUOTE]

hi mate if you want any advice nearer the time ref hunstanton then pm me as i live there and i will let you know wats going on and might meet up with you for a bi of a fish if i am free regards roger

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cromer 11th/12th and then IOW 21/25 sept....with a few vists around Hunstanton/Yarmouth in between hopefully....cant blooming wait.
hi mate if you want any advice nearer the time ref hunstanton then pm me as i live there and i will let you know wats going on and might meet up with you for a bi of a fish if i am free regards roger[/QUOTE]

Thanks Roger that would be superb and will defentaily drop you a pm when i have some dates.

Chap i was talking too recommended using worm (luckily had bought a couple of dozen from the tackle shop down near Barclay's)...any advice on what bait too use.

Tried too fish down near the rocks where the wreck is but got snagged so decided too move further up roughly between where you walk down from the large carpark near the lighthouse (forgot too pay and display :doh:) and the rocks....is that general area any good or would further down towards the fair be any better/worse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts