World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well to most people at his isn’t much to shout about, but for me this is a nice achievement.

Ive fished the sand spit countless times (maybe 20 times) not to exaggerate; and blanked (on the rays) or caught only a few small species. I’d always use big baits and fish until the bitter end with no joy. But yesterday was different, luckily.

When I arrived at the mark at 2:30pm, I was greeted by a group of roughly 25 anglers from the Porthcawl area angling club. They were having a comp on the spit, and at that moment I new I was likely to see a few fish, even if I wasn’t to catch.
We made our way onto the spit at about 3:30ish, in a big line. The spit was rammed and managed to squeeze between two guys I’d be speaking to for a short while on the beach. I really don’t like the casting restrictions of densely packed match angling scene as my casting had to be adapted to a flimsy over head thump. This halved the distance I could normally achieve. The rip caused a few tangles between me and the other anglers too to make matters worse.

I fished one rod with a two-hook flapper with fresh rag I’d dug the day before, and the other with a 5ft pulley with either, herring, mackerel or squid as bait.

I had 2 school bass and a whiting on the drop, all falling to the two hook flapper. I saw a few other 2lbish bass come off the spit in this time - but no rays other that one rumour of one spotted further up. At low tide my confidence didn’t grow much, as the tangles were only getting worse. I continued to fish and considered moving towards Lavernock point. An hour into high and still nothing. Cast after cast with huge baits and walking back, letting them soak at some range.

Finally, about 1.5 hours after the flood, and the comp was over. All the guys packed up and began to depart. I was tempted to leave too, but I knew I had another 30 minutes until the spit would cover. I finally had some space, so I whipped on a whole herring bait, pierced it’s swim bladder, and clipped it on to my rod. I managed to wind up on a good cast and sent it to the horizon. I put a whole mackerel on the other rod.

After casting, I stated to get a bit nervous as I was the only person on a flooding sandbar. I had about 20 minutes left. The guys were fading into the distance.

I picked up my gear and walked it back towards laverknock- only about 100m, just to get away from the flooding tide. I left the baits in the water and loosened the drag to allow them to get into deep water. After 15 minutes I thought it was probably time to go before I died.

I picked up the rod with the whole herring on, wound down and lifted the rod. Snagged. And snagged up a solid. “Sh*t”, I thought. I didn’t have much time at all, so I lifted as hard as I could to see if I could pull the weight free. No movement. I pointed the rod tip at the water and began to walk back for a break. The water was actually touching my box at this point. I took about 8 steps before the snag started to move…

Thinking that I’d caught a big ball of weed (as I’d done that through most of the session) I wound down frantically, and lifted in the heavy weight. My feet were in the water, and as I was reeling I placed my loose rig gear on the top of my tackle box to stop it floating away. The snag pulled solid again. I did the same as before and walked back with the rod tip down. I needed this end to break so I could leave. Movement again. But this time, I had three big kicks… surely not.. I pumped the rod some more in disbelief. Not long after I saw a large ray break the surface. I literally called out loud to the guys in the distance, as if to prove that they do exist. But they were long gone, I was left to deal with this situation myself. The fish dived and pulled solid. I couldn’t believe how powerful it was in the ripping tide. I waded out towards it while reeling, and it came to the surface again. A few more dives later, it was close enough to me so that I could see it. A lovely blonde.

I’d not had much luck with these fish in recent years, so they are still a really awesome fish to me.

I walked the fish onto what was left of the beach. And there it was. I went to unhook the fish, but in the rushed procedure I got my hand a little to close to the fishes mouth, and it bit much quite hard.. fully deserved (as seen in the first photo). I didn’t have much time to admire the creature, so I quickly weighed it and positioned my phone on my box for a photo, using the timer setting on my camera.

The spit released the fish for me, as I was reeling in my other rod quickly. The water coverd over the fish and it swam off slowly back into the depths. I got my gear together and waded back off the sandbar. I thought to myself “4 minutes later and I would’ve been up to my knees with that fish”, luck does really exist.

I got off the spit, appreciated the mark for a bit, and then plodded home with a big old smile on my face haha. The photos don’t do the situation justice - I thought the I was gonna swim for sure. Oh, the fish weighed 12.12lbs. BS
Sky People in nature Cloud Art Happy
Sky Cloud People in nature Flash photography Wood

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Well done...dont think you should have stayed as long as you did..you can never be to carefull....and there is always another day....but that is your choice...take care

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well done...dont think you should have stayed as long as you did..you can never be to carefull....and there is always another day....but that is your choice...take care
Agreed. I wasn’t too far up the spit luckily. Otherwise I think I wouldn’t have made those last casts. Dangerous place really if you’re not concentrating

·
Registered
889 Posts
Great report bigsnake..pleased that you finally got your blonde and made it back home safe...well done....salty 👍

·
Team Loonz
8,201 Posts
Great result.(y)(y)(y)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts