World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just after a few tips on looking for cod marks. I'm based in swansea and know I have to head east but I'm not sure what I'm looking for to locate cod I.e.

• Clean, mixed or rough ground
  • Fast or slow tidal areas
  • Uniform bottom or sand banks
  • Deep or shallow (above or below 10m depth at low)
  • species commonly found alongside cod
Any advice would be appreciated, I know that a lot depends on tide heights, time of year etc. Etc. But just trying to find a few areas to start narrowing it down.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just after a few tips on looking for cod marks. I'm based in swansea and know I have to head east but I'm not sure what I'm looking for to locate cod I.e.

Any advice would be appreciated, I know that a lot depends on tide heights, time of year etc. Etc. But just trying to find a few areas to start narrowing it down.
cod / codling have been thin on the ground in Swansea bay for a few years, but generally start showing now up east of bay first, mixed to rough ground best as they tend to be full of green shore crab early in season,marks around north kenfig patches,off sker not too far out , on the rough ground,this area is pretty shallow so beware of big swells in west sw winds or best avoided then, ok in easterlies,also outer green grounds in the depressions, most are fast tide areas, inside the bay inner green grounds on big tides or sw winds ,deep marks tend to fish better later mid dec-March, usually lots of dogs and congers, don’t usually fish clean ground marks , lugworm,crab baits early season,later on whole squid /cuttle fish in deep water worth a go.

·
Registered
22,805 Posts
Not my area and we don't get many cod here but as garwed says I would look for reefs and mixed ground,I've caught well fishing near to crabpots,whether it's the ground or the scent of the potbait that attracts them I don't know.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's great, thanks for the advice. I'm heading to north kenfig patches today so hopefully in with a chance. Had a nice Whiting by port Talbot so I'm guessing the cod should be about soon.

Good to know the inner and outer green grounds are worth a shot if it's too rough to make it out east.

Thanks again, I'll let you know if I get one!

·
Registered
22 Posts

i always get the cod of rough ground, thats where the feeding is (crabs) find a reef with abit of depth and sud poke a few out,

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies, I've got a couple of marks in mind now. Aberthaw and minehead are a bit further than I'd like to travel but I'll keep them in mind if I get desperate!

Didn't manage any cod on Sunday but had loads of conger, only to 8lb but had lots over 5lb so enough to put a bend in the rod. Also beat my huss pb twice with a 15, then a 16 1/12, was surprised they were huss because they actually fought back pretty hard. Was a strong tide though.

The mark I've chosen is close to kenfig patches and is a sand channel between two rock peaks. I've had new PBs for 4 different species (conger, huss, small eye and thornie) off this mark so far and it's one I found myself so hoping it'll throw up a cod.

I also have a mark a bit further out in deep water again on a clean patch in a rocky area, I fished it last year and pretty much every fish I caught was throwing up rag worm so hoping it's a big bed of rag which might draw the cod in. I need smaller tides and nice conditions though because it's a bit further out than I usually fish.

Failing those two spots I'll look a bit further east for some rough ground, looks like some not far off rest bay.

No trips for 3 weekends now unfortunately :cry:. Might try and book a couple days off work when lockdown is lifted... before the next one is imposed.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Try fishing off the breakwater has the night draw in codling Whitting were caught on the dark hours on lug worm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts