World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I use finger stalls , over time get damaged and purchase more.

Anyone use Breakway Cannon and compare if better than finger stalls ? And worth the cost ?

I use tapered shock leader (just making sure the thick shock leader line works with breakaway cannons) as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
20,643 Posts
Currently I use finger stalls , over time get damaged and purchase more.

Anyone use Breakway Cannon and compare if better than finger stalls ? And worth the cost ?

I use tapered shock leader (just making sure the thick shock leader line works with breakaway cannons) as well.

Thanks
;) Got that metal one from on here but lost the instructions so, anyone got them could they post them on here please. ;)

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
Since fixed spools and braid became popular down here, most folks use Breakaways, a few still use finger stalls. Because mostly we are using heavy braid leaders, the Breakaways work very well. To the point now where we build them on as a permanent fixture on our custom rods - unless the client specifically asks us not to.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
My Triggers are for sale on Ebay or direct from me via Paypal.
Norm, this link help you ?

Den

Reactions: ebo and judyb

·
Registered
15,170 Posts
Depends which rods I am using... for Backcasting I tend to use home made finger stalls, I buy a pair of industrial gloves for a fiver or less, and cut off the fingers and stitch on some elastic for wrist bands....the fingers from a pair of gloves will last me a few years, more if I didnt keep losing the damm things. I have a shaped wine cork taped to both butts above the reel seats to make gripping the line easier, Jackjock I think, has a cut alloy tube fitted that does the same thing .

I really like the Breakaway Cannons, for reel up, in fact I am going to get another so both my Conti rods have them permanently fitted.

Dave

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I use a leather finger guard stitched onto a wrist strap, it tucks up my sleeve when not in use.

Tried the cannon and hated it, far too much line slap on release. I've also seen a few dodgy moments when line slips off mid cast. On a bigger cast you need to wrap the line around the cannon a few times.

Best advice is try one and see what you think.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,170 Posts
I use a leather finger guard stitched onto a wrist strap, it tucks up my sleeve when not in use.

Tried the cannon and hated it, far too much line slap on release. I've also seen a few dodgy moments when line slips off mid cast. On a bigger cast you need to wrap the line around the cannon a few times.

Best advice is try one and see what you think.
That looks like one of mine... did you find it washed up in the beach ?
:D

Dave

·
Banned
217 Posts
I used the Ian Golds finger stalls on the casting field and buy half a dozen when I can get them. I stopped using Cannons because they slip even if you wrap the leader a couple of times around the capstan. I also have a few of Den's triggers which are fantastic for fishing, will not slip even when chucking 8oz of lead and save the faff of keep tucking up or taking off a fingerstall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone. I do over head power casts . Think I'll try the industrial glove make your own idea as the ones I purchase last a few sessions and line cut through the finger stalls on occasion

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
just toying with the idea at the moment, as I bought some braid a while ago after speaking with @judyb about braid, but due to work and a recent holiday, I haven't yet used it (to be honest, I haven't put it on the reel yet) :D

I have thought about use a casting device taped onto the rod, or maybe I'll just use a glove to save my finger from getting sliced as it sounds easier than faffing about with other things

1 - 20 of 124 Posts