World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dont know how to post a link, but check out the BBC Cornwall news site.

·
Registered
51 Posts
hope they take there boats away,and ban them from going to sea for a very long time.This has happened to them,what about the rest of the boats in newlyn?? wonder what they are landing?I'm glad they got caught maybe the rest of the fishing industry will take note(think not):clap3: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
My bet is an individual fine of £10.5K ans the £141k to be paid back.
Dream on but there is a precedent set for a Shetland trawler landing £milllions illegaly in Norway

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
37 counts each carrying an unlimited fine......
Prosecution costs running at £300,000
Possibly the assett recovery management team will find fraud going back years.

I just hope that justice is served.....

T

·
0 Posts
got a feeling this could be whitewashed as it would mean the end of Newlyn as a major fishing port. :g:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
got a feeling this could be whitewashed as it would mean the end of Newlyn as a major fishing port. :g:
cant se that happening as the family own half of newlyn !!!!
like most of the fines handed out its covered by one or two trips and like someone put before in this thread its been going on for years they have more money in the bank or stashed away for things like this.

·
Registered
189 Posts
A whole sad state of affairs, there all at it i tell you! its just a question of don't get caught, but even then the punishments and fines are not enough to stop them doing it anyway so why do they need to worry:uhuh: They will be the first to moan when the fisheries eventually decide to take sufficient action (IF THEY DO)to try and stop this illegal fishing, winging that they can't make a living and all of the other pathetic lies that they try to use in there favour. I take comfort in knowing that there industries days are numbered, and they know it, there will be little or no fishing industry left in 10-20 years if something isn't done to stop this madness! the heart of the problem ultimately lies with the government and its failure to implement stiff penalties on these fishing boats that just laugh away any fines or penalties, they walk out of court laughing and then its just business as usual, huge profits and then small fines:wallbash: :banghead: somebody with some clout needs to get there head screwed on before its too late.

·
Registered
706 Posts
If the Assets Recovery Agency do their job properly they could be screwed, as Stevensons and the individuals have to prove that ANY assets they have (bank accounts, property, boats etc etc) were obtained legitimately - it is assumed that EVERYTHING has been funded by the fraud (i.e burden of proof is reversed).

In other words, they have to prove what they did actually land within the quotas, and how much legitimate money they made from it. If they can't (will be very difficult given the nature of the fraud) they could lose a hell of a lot - the criminal action fines will be negligible in comparison.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
"The family firm is run by Elizabeth Stevenson, who is chair of the National Federation of Fisheries Organisations. "

So DEFRA take advise from the NFFA whose chairman has been found guilty of fraud and overfishing!!

What would happen if the chairman of the CBI was done for fraud? I bet they would be thrown out any governing committees.

We should be stating that RSA's refuse to accept any legisation when the main stakeholders are guilty of fraud!!

FlyGuy

·
Registered
443 Posts
As mentioned before - you can rely on a white wash here and a small (in terms of their assets) fine. The impact on the industry in Newlyn would be too great were Stevensons to be forced to fold. To be honest, for all the criticism, I for one, would not like to see the end of our fishing industry in Cornwall, just proper regulation.

What would send out a message is not to kill off the industry in Newlyn, but to give Elizabeth Stevenson a few years 'at Her Magesty's Pleasure' and the National Federation of Fisheries Organisation to bar her from any future active role in their organisation.

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
As mentioned before - you can rely on a white wash here and a small (in terms of their assets) fine. The impact on the industry in Newlyn would be too great were Stevensons to be forced to fole. To be honest, for all the criticism, I for one, would not like to see the end of our fishing industry in Cornwall, just proper regulation.

What would send out a message is not to kill off the industry in Newlyn, but to give Elizabeth Stevenson a few years 'at Her Magesty's Pleasure' and the National Federation of Fisheries Organisation to bar her from any future active role in their organisation.

for the sake of the fishing 'community' down there, i'll agree with you on this, but, if a community is based upon overfishing, it's days are numbered anyways, it's always the one's who profit least (ie the general skivvies) who lose the most.

i do tend to agree with others though, i'd give em a big fine, let em laugh it off, but also have a clause where they pay x amount per week to have every catch audited and logged as it is landed, along with gps monitoring equipment to be sure they're not going out of their way to offload elsewhere, see if they cheat then. if they try it, the boat gets taken away, sold, and the money goes toward giving locals smaller boats to pursue sustainable and honest fishing practices.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I've seen the fishing fleet decline for as long as I can remember in newlyn. I think its about time stevo's called it a day. Let some new blood run it, let the smaller groups get together and run their own port. It works in places like Looe, Newquay so why not Newlyn. Stevo's have been running things too long there and they are always in the news with one boat or another. They will, like most of you say come out of this smelling of roses having spent peanuts on fines. Are they going to pay for the skippers fines too as he and his crew were only doing what they asked of them, and to keep their jobs they will do it. I don't think Stevo's are doing the port any favours anymore and should sell up and let the port be run in a way it should. Its a discrace to the cornish industry that this has been going on for so long and nothing major to shake things up has been done. All I can say is R.I.P Stevo's

·
Registered
317 Posts
This is very sad to hear!

These type of individual fraudsters have infiltrated other boards or committee's with a view to be seen as whiter than white.:g:

I suspect this sort of thing is happening in the CI where certain people are trying to get limits on RSA catches in thier waters. These people have influence in the commercial industry and have buisness's which profit from thier own decisions.:uhuh:

Should fine them heavily. Take thier boats off them and sink them altogether in one spot to create another wreck area where wreck netters can plunder our stocks when spawning.:schmoll:

I have no sympathy for them at all. They are just greedy individuals who will sell up and move abroad with the rest of the tax dodging upper class who have no regard people's live's or living's or familes. :uhuh:

They most probably used most of this illegal dosh to buy property and own half of newlyn anyway.

As for the federation. They should be investigated. You cant tell me that no one knew this was going on under thier noses. How were the authorities alerted to this?:g:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well said bones jones! thats whats going on and the gullible working class who need the money the most are paying the price for the tax evading upper class, who are the ones spending the money and deciding where it goes, the rich are different they don't just play the game they make the rules too.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Err.... not sure what class has to do with it, isn't it a simple case of fraud and underhand tactics that is indicative of the entire catching sector?

My beef is with DEFRA who will continue to give bias to these people despite their ongoing disregard of regulations.

Flyguy

·
Registered
401 Posts
I feel like going down the road and attaching a few limpet mines to their boats...

This makes me sick because I know they will get away with it. What really gets to me is the way commercial fishermen think 'its our way of life' is an excuse to do whatever they wan't.

This doesn't hold for other endagered speicies so why should it be the same for fish, not like I can become a rare bird collector or harpoon porpoises and then claim 'its a way of life' and get away with it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
This doesn't hold for other endagered speicies so why should it be the same for fish, not like I can become a rare bird collector or harpoon porpoises and then claim 'its a way of life' and get away with it.
Unless of course your'e Japanese!

·
The Bean Counter
44,170 Posts
Stevensons out of Newlyn? Who do you replace them with? It would leave a big hole in the area which would be difficult to fill. Imagine the scenario if the Council took over the running of the port! Over the last 20 years I've seen so many proposals for the regeneration of Penzance and what has happened!

So I agree that Stevensons need a good slapping for their involvment in this and I would suggest that they lose the right to control the fish auctions but to cripple them would serve no purpose at all.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi Sharpshooter. Thanks for posting the details. I think this the shows the lunacy of the quota system and the EU fisheries policy.
Saying that surely the Hake fisherman know how to target Hake as opposed to bass AND if their quota had been filled should have stopped fishing?

Flyguy

1 - 20 of 73 Posts