World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weather finally broke tonight so headed out with the new salt fly rod I bought in the summer for a few casts. Just getting to dusk and the moon was out with the tide mid way up. Went to a spot that I've heard many people say is good for sea trout and as I pulled up I saw two others just packing up so thought that was a good sign. Been itching to get out for the sea trout for months and the new rod was bought specially for this autumn but been so busy I havent had a chance to get out till tonight.
Anyway got to the water and had a cast. Felt a tug but thought it was just weed. Second cast and felt another tug but this time saw a flash under the water. This got me very excited and within another 2 casts I had hooked into something. Wasnt huge but was putting up a bit of a fight. I was hyper - first 5 casts in anger and I had a fish on. So I was disapointed to land the fish and find a 1/2lb coal fish. Still, the new rod was now christened so I fished on. Had about 10 baby coalies and stopped after an hour when it got two dark to fish.
Very happy to have caught my first sea fish on the fly but slightly disapointed it wasnt a sea trout. Judging by the type of places you fish for sea trout I guess you have to get through the baby fish first. Hope to get out again soon.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
if orkney seatrout are anything like sw seatrout try a calm fullmoon or 1st light on a warmer morning and just be dead dead slow and quiet creeping behind trees and bushes. even the colour of my hat used to make a difference to catches, brown was best. (my best seatrout is in the avatar picture no outstretched arm on that1)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Blimey, that's some seatrout, a real beaut.
My best results on seatrout have been in almost total darkness. Either no moon or thick cloud cover. And most important, I find, is not to start fishing until it's properly dark. Even in sea-pools and estuaries, I've seen seatrout scarper as soon as someone casts a line in daylight. While it's light, I just like to scope things out, and see where I'll be casting.
And yes, I agree 100% about the need to be as stealthy and invisible as possible. I met a chap who put dark makeup on his face so it wouldn't show up. I have never gone quite that far.

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Blimey, that's some seatrout, a real beaut.
My best results on seatrout have been in almost total darkness. Either no moon or thick cloud cover. And most important, I find, is not to start fishing until it's properly dark. Even in sea-pools and estuaries, I've seen seatrout scarper as soon as someone casts a line in daylight. While it's light, I just like to scope things out, and see where I'll be casting.
And yes, I agree 100% about the need to be as stealthy and invisible as possible. I met a chap who put dark makeup on his face so it wouldn't show up. I have never gone quite that far.
Are you sure it was a chap.

Mick.:clap2:

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
My seatrout catches has been purely pot luck .At sea from the rocks wile spinning for bass.:blink:
the tally is 4 to date,and one that some said was a salmon,9.lb it weighed:clap2:
and made a fab. dinner for 6.
Fly fishing fresh water is a little on the expensive side in this country:nonono:

·
Registered
603 Posts
if orkney seatrout are anything like sw seatrout try a calm fullmoon or 1st light on a warmer morning and just be dead dead slow and quiet creeping behind trees and bushes. even the colour of my hat used to make a difference to catches, brown was best. (my best seatrout is in the avatar picture no outstretched arm on that1)

Not many of them on an Orkney beach.

Keep at it and keep moving between casts, cover plenty of water and you will find them. They can be in really close to the shore, the best bits are where there are patches of rock and weed.:thumbs:

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
My seatrout catches has been purely pot luck .At sea from the rocks wile spinning for bass.:blink:
the tally is 4 to date,and one that some said was a salmon,9.lb it weighed:clap2:
and made a fab. dinner for 6.
Fly fishing fresh water is a little on the expensive side in this country:nonono:
costs a pair of trainers lol

my local river have finally agreed to sell me limited access to some water 300quid plus a licence..................

we had a deal i leave the river alone theyd consider it after a few years both stuck to our words but no 400 pounds spair now.

if u see that floating foam and the seas calmed off there often under that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts