World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a charter trip out with Noel West (Aquavitesse) from Brighton Marina (wrecking) with 6 others yesterday. Glorious weather for a bank holiday for a change.

We went out to the first wreck and this threw up 4 Pollack and a codling to others on the boat (nothing for me!). Then things quietened down and we moved further out to the next one..... not much there for anyone (lots of chopping and changing to try and tempt some takes). Noel was working hard, like most charter skippers to find us the fish, the rest was up to us (and a bit of Lady luck)!

The third wreck proved to be one where some of us kept hooking the metalwork, although it did also throw up some Pollack. I lost a big one here where I think it caught the line on the wreck as it took its first dive down (with line streaming off the reel). I re-rigged with another jellyworm and bang....... big take, lots of fight and a heavy haul to the surface (eventually)....to reveal by biggest pollack yet at 12lb. :clap2:

We had heard that a few mackeral were being taken over the channel wrecks and I had brought my small spinning rod (with a small fixed spool reel) and without any expectations had had a few drops with the feathers....... nothing.

Well, we moved on to another wreck, joining another boat from Brighton, three or four of their guys were feathering and I thought well why not........ we had planned to livebait for Bass .... hoping that some bass would be following the mackeral up the channel. Well you can imagine my suprise when jigging the feathers I had a take that I thought was either a very very big mackeral, or a pollack higher in the water than anything had taken earlier. The water was very clear and it was putting up a good fight on the light tackle when ..... that silver glint made it clear that I had my very first bass of the season! :) :) :)

I tried again.... this time a mackeral (a big one at that!) but no further bass.

My only other catch was a reasonable channel whiting when I tried a frozen sandeel (looking for Pollack). Most of thePollack fell to jellyworms (black, black & red & blue seemed to be the favourites for the day). The shads didn't seem to be any good this trip ... on my last trip at the beginning of March, it was the only thing I used successfully.

Pictures attached for those that prefer piccies to words!

I'm really looking forward to the Newhaven trip next Friday with Cascars & Co. I think the mackeral & bass (+ a few pollack) might be making life interesting for us all!

Mick.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Well done Mick, nice pollack and Bass.
I know the Bass are on the wrecks but you need the livebait to target them.
Opposite me a Bass fisherman came in with 12 fish today, biggest looked about 7lb most around 2-4lb. he spent most of yesterday out getting livebait though so you need to be dedicated to be in with a real chance.
I haven`t forgot the trip out with me so i`ll be in touch.
Going out to a wreck or two in the morning about the 15-20 mile mark.
Got the numbers for a new wreck so hope to give that a try.Glad the skipper worked hard to get you fish, i know some give up a bit early.

Alan

G

·
Cracking fish Mick:clap3: . I hope the conditions are as good to us next week but somehow I doubt it:uhuh: . Looking forward to our trip, see you soon.

·
Registered
605 Posts
do recognise the boke in the back :notworthy but was a great weather trip

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
thankyou mick :fish: :fishing1:

hope the weather is ok for your fishing this weekend, an friday.. i really got the bug for boat fishin again :yahoo: ..... trouble is the missus:blahblah: :blahblah: :preachon: :blahblah: lol. june maybe next for boat,got about 5 ppl wanting to fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts