World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any way mate been down that stour yet, there is a few eels and bass showing with still plenty of small codling.
Went up the Stour on Sunday, weather was not the best, a SW wind (wind over tide) made it snotty! But that was the good point, she handled it so well. However in retrospect perhaps we should have got to one of the early bass marks up the Orwell? tucked in under the West bank?

But we didn't, hoverer the day was enjoyable. We used very light tackle and had a ball with the bass, codling, whiting and eel? can you have a ball with eel?:schmoll:

The high point of the day for me, I put a small whiting out on my Suveran 20lb rod, great all rounder, supersensative tip with some real 'balls' as the action progresses down the blank . . . any way, back to the whiting, I new there was something about as it got a bit excited a couple of times. All went quiet, tide was on its final knockings.:) Cup of tea time . . . ain't it always the way, in the galley, the 20lb Suveran went double, slammed the Berkly rod holder bang!!! on to the transom, the reel screamed! then nothing . . . what the F***** was that!!!! the whiting came back, well half a whiting came back, striped as though it had been pulled through a wire fence! Use a bigger hook next time, although I would have thought the 6/0 should have been OK? Or perhaps a double hook penaled, old fashioned style:g: goes against the grain though.

Caught another small whiting soon after, tried it again, 2 hours nothing. Moral? not to make the tea . . . let some one else do it:fishing:

Interesting point, the codling came on half a squid, dont usually do anything on squid up the river? Weather looks poor for a few days now, watch and wait. Found a supply of small fresh joe mackies, 6kgs at a time, just right for the new Tope and Bass season. Chasing mackeral of Suffolk is a wast of time. Tried frozen mackies a couple of times last year with good success, so this year with my mind on the job, it should be great, straight to the mark!!!:fish:

ET's OPO

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
oh dear mate the one that got away, more than likely a big bass or a thornie.

i will try and get him for you on friday.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts