World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm planning with a friend to go sea fishing, to start it will most likely be beach casting.I've done the odd corse fishing with some cheap and nasty rod :eek:
I'm now ready and willing to invest in some gear.
Apart from the bare bones(e.g rod , reel etc)
What else should i take along with me?
Could someone recommend or put together a begginers kit?
Many thanks.
Matt

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Don't just buy anything until you've had a look at what others are using where you intend to fish.

Then go to your nearest tackle shop. Tell him what you are going to do, ask him where's best to go and let him list and price what you will need. If he's local he's hardly going to rip you off as you then will not come back regularly and buy bait and even more stuff! If you've set yourself some sort of budget you can then tell him and see what he then considers is basic. Take your mate along with you, he might cast an eye on what is recommended.

It shouldn't be more than:
Rod, reel, line, leads, hooks and line for tying up your hooks.
Where you intend to fish will determine the rod and reel as well as the breaking strain of your line.

If money is scarce consider second hand if he has any in the shop.

If it becomes and obsession then Sea fishing is not cheap, unless of course you're talking to your wife/partner!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Why don't you go to Garry Evans in Newport and talk to Clive Vedmore he will give you some good advice and sort you some tackle out. He might have a good secondhand rod in. He usually gets you to spend a little more money than you intended but in the end it is up to you. There are 2 shops in Newport it is the one nearest the motorway. You come off at junction 26 just before the tunnel on the M5, drive into Newport and it is 2nd left, Redland Street, just after the traffic lights for the crossing then first left down that road Prospect Street. I suggest you start with a fixed spool reel but get one with a good line lay, these usually have an oscillating worm drive rather than one with simply an eccentric pin. Line lay is critical to good reliable casting.

tight lines
Martin

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mph1954 said:
Why don't you go to Garry Evans in Newport and talk to Clive Vedmore he will give you some good advice and sort you some tackle out. He might have a good secondhand rod in. He usually gets you to spend a little more money than you intended but in the end it is up to you. There are 2 shops in Newport it is the one nearest the motorway. You come off at junction 26 just before the tunnel on the M5, drive into Newport and it is 2nd left, Redland Street, just after the traffic lights for the crossing then first left down that road Prospect Street. I suggest you start with a fixed spool reel but get one with a good line lay, these usually have an oscillating worm drive rather than one with simply an eccentric pin. Line lay is critical to good reliable casting.

tight lines
Martin
Thanks,are we talking under a £100 though?
Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts