World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Headed out on a midnight mission last night flying solo. Things were really slow and the only action of the night came from a 3lb 10oz Codling.

I fished Gas Works in Minehead from low tide right up to high water. Conditions were quite pleasant and was about as comfortable as it was ever going to be.
Maybe all of this rain has effected the fishing bit but I was pleased to find a least one of the things I was looking for.

Down side is that I soaked a brand new Fathom and now I have to strip it down as it's got a ton of sand in it and sounds like a coffee grinder.

All in all not bad though considering I haven't fished the Bristol Channel for over a year.

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well done mate, some of my mates have been up there and put a fair few hours with little and certainly no codling to show for it this week. Seem a bit thin on the ground
Cheers mate. There were a couple of other guys who turned up mid tide but didn't look like they had anything either.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well done on your codling, there has been the odd cod out this last week :happydance:
Thanks Si, I was hoping to find a more sizable one with baits I was using but it was certainly better than a kick in the teeth.

Yes I saw yours, what a beauty. :BigGrin:

I don't think you were at minehead though were you? And if you were you weren't on the same as I was.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Minehead has some excellent marks, if I lived there, that is where I'd do most of my fishing. I believe the last 2 biggest shore cod from the channel came from there, and another good 20 as well.

I personally think the big cod swim through most marks at some point moving with the tides, it's just luck if you find one.

Last winter I only had one cod at 2lb from the channel..... I wasn't very lucky!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Minehead has some excellent marks, if I lived there, that is where I'd do most of my fishing. I believe the last 2 biggest shore cod from the channel came from there, and another good 20 as well.

I personally think the big cod swim through most marks at some point moving with the tides, it's just luck if you find one.

Last winter I only had one cod at 2lb from the channel..... I wasn't very lucky!
Spot on! Like you say Minehead is pretty good and can throw up decent fish.

I was there trying for a biggie because the really big ones come out in January.

Craig had one 20lb+ a few years ago from Gas Works and then George had one around 24lb from the harbour both in January.

So January is definitely time to go for a big one at Minehead if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I thought George had a bigger fish, 27.5lb, and a lad had one similar or bigger, can't remember now. Both January like you said. Craig's was also caught almost in the same area from memory.

The big fish do seem to drop back to minehead after Christmas.

Then you have good eels and cracking ray fishing.... Best this side of the channel the few miles around Minehead (excluding thorneys).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought George had a bigger fish, 27.5lb, and a lad had one similar or bigger, can't remember now. Both January like you said. Craig's was also caught almost in the same area from memory.

The big fish do seem to drop back to minehead after Christmas.

Then you have good eels and cracking ray fishing.... Best this side of the channel the few miles around Minehead (excluding thorneys).
George may have done, can't remember exactly and tbh I don't know George personally just know of him. But that same day I was out on teddy boy charters trying for a big Cod so I remember that when that was.

I definitely remember about Craig though as I saw him on the day before he caught it. He was making rigs for the match in the shop.

We were fishing Porlock on a strong westerly and was hoping we'd have it over our shoulder there. Anyway, I remember clear as day getting home and seeing pictures of Craig's 20lb cod all over Facebook.

But yes I 100% agree with you on that. I am actually going to fish Minehead a lot more this year for pretty much the above reasons. The only addition being that I also intend to target sole there at somepoint.

·
Registered
10,742 Posts
Not sure if it's just the camera angle but the rods look like they are quite some distance from the water, any reason why ? Top effort.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
at least you had one decent codling from your session,im also looking to try again @ Gasworks,my previous 2.5 hour trips across from Ringwood have been rubbish in jan.....I tend to fish in front of the large buoy about 250yds off the beach....dunno why..just do,,few odd whiting that's all.

I always think that fishing from the harbour might be better but never bother....ok....Gasworks for me is a fish over HW spot..is there a Low water spot worth trying for a couple of hours before going to Gasworks over HW......???...Anyway going to try this jan...to see what I can winkle out.

Gazza

1 - 20 of 31 Posts