World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a session for a gilthead yesterday, wasn't expecting much other than schoolies to honest has i've never had one before. First cast of the day resulted in a thumping bite ,fortunately or unfortunately i had the baitrunner on (i was still setting up the second rod:uhuh: ) which meant lots of line streaming off but no hookup when i got to the rod:headhurt:
A short while later had another bite and hooked up this time, only for the hook to pull before landing the fish , the only consilation being that i think was just a small bassbut i was beginning to think it was going to be one of those days;) and perhaps i shouldn't used braid for the first time !!
After a fruitless hour or so the rod hammered over and i was into a fish which certainly wasn't a bass and it was stripping braid off the reel quicker than i could get it back . Eventually after quite a fight and more than few anxious moments( carp rod and small abu cardinal baitrunner loaded with 15lb braid) i landed my first ever gilthead which went 4lb 5oz :clap2:

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Had a session for a gilthead yesterday, wasn't expecting much other than schoolies to honest has i've never had one before. First cast of the day resulted in a thumping bite ,fortunately or unfortunately i had the baitrunner on (i was still setting up the second rod:uhuh: ) which meant lots of line streaming off but no hookup when i got to the rod:headhurt:
A short while later had another bite and hooked up this time, only for the hook to pull before landing the fish , the only consilation being that i think was just a small bassbut i was beginning to think it was going to be one of those days;) and perhaps i shouldn't used braid for the first time !!
After a fruitless hour or so the rod hammered over and i was into a fish which certainly wasn't a bass and it was stripping braid off the reel quicker than i could get it back . Eventually after quite a fight and more than few anxious moments( carp rod and small abu cardinal baitrunner loaded with 15lb braid) i landed my first ever gilthead which went 4lb 5oz :clap2:
welldone paul,cracker for your first.Im making that my next target,failed last year out with brycie i would guess at the same mark you were at yesterday mate.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well done mate thats a fantastic fish. Good luck with the next one, my target for this year is a 5lber so fingers crossed. By the way what was the bait?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had to drop the missus into Truro this morning so managed another short session for the giltheads . Only had a couple of hours fishing time and the previous spot was a bit blowy so had to find some where a bit more sheltered , but still managed to find them again, well one anway . Bit smaller this time, about three pounds but still good sport

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had a another crack at the gilts today, managed to find a couple 2 1/2lb and 3lb:) , twas hard going mind ,only had three bites the other being a small schoolie. Still was nice to find them again the last three sessions has only produced countless schoolies and a couple of flounder :unsure:
Sorry about the picture quality:yucky:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
wow! nice fish mate.proper session:thumbs: you went out after the target species and caught them.:clap3:
when are these bream going to migrate up to north devon? the taw/torridge is ideal for gilts.same as most south coast river systems? are gilts in the camel?or is it a matter of water temp? anyone know?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wow! nice fish mate.proper session:thumbs: you went out after the target species and caught them.:clap3:
when are these bream going to migrate up to north devon? the taw/torridge is ideal for gilts.same as most south coast river systems? are gilts in the camel?or is it a matter of water temp? anyone know?
Well ,they get them on the North Cornwall coast and they get them on parts of the welsh coast/ river systems:g: so do you want to tell us the reason they're avoiding you North Devon boys:blink: :bleh: :laugh:
Seriously , don't know mate but they do seem to be making more and more of an appearance around the south wests estuaries ( even the Tamar) so you never know bud :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts