World Sea Fishing Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
3,299 Posts
Well ,they get them on the North Cornwall coast and they get them on parts of the welsh coast/ river systems:g: so do you want to tell us the reason they're avoiding you North Devon boys:blink: :bleh: :laugh:
Seriously , don't know mate but they do seem to be making more and more of an appearance around the south wests estuaries ( even the Tamar) so you never know bud :)
At the rate you're going m8 you could always offer (for a small fee lol) to keep a nights haul safe and alive, and do your own introduction scheme and let a few go up there for them to try and catch pmsl

· Registered
2,400 Posts
Well ,they get them on the North Cornwall coast and they get them on parts of the welsh coast/ river systems:g: so do you want to tell us the reason they're avoiding you North Devon boys:blink: :bleh: :laugh:
Seriously , don't know mate but they do seem to be making more and more of an appearance around the south wests estuaries ( even the Tamar) so you never know bud :)
lol :) the taw/torridge is perfect for em.but the tides are BIG and the rivers run of the moors? makes the water cold maybe thats the reason?

· Registered
3,627 Posts
wow! nice fish mate.proper session:thumbs: you went out after the target species and caught them.:clap3:
when are these bream going to migrate up to north devon? the taw/torridge is ideal for gilts.same as most south coast river systems? are gilts in the camel?or is it a matter of water temp? anyone know?
I'm certain the torridge isn't suitable wilky, all the river systems i know where gilts are caught are more like rocky inlets developing into estuaries ie salcombe, the yealm and the helford (i don't know the fal). The torridge is featureless really compared to those. Someone correct me if they think i'm wrong :unsure:

· Registered
2,400 Posts
:laugh: No way am i venturing up to NORTH Devon, (well not until the smuts arrive :bleh: ) do you not realise what they get upto in them parts:spiteful: :doh: :whistling
smuts have been up yer since april mate...:bleh: check out the old threads(bideford bay).if you hear the faint sound of a banjo playing in the wind you know your in somerset:blink: turn around and pray:kissing:

· Registered
2,400 Posts
I'm certain the torridge isn't suitable wilky, all the river systems i know where gilts are caught are more like rocky inlets developing into estuaries ie salcombe, the yealm and the helford (i don't know the fal). The torridge is featureless really compared to those. Someone correct me if they think i'm wrong :unsure:
your probaly right mate.bream of any sort arnt a regular catch in the estuary and the pics ive seen of gilts in cornwall/salcombe look like they are caught well up river?(greeny weed) around here thats at least 5 miles upstream and very tidal and very fresh.mind you i caught a few small tub gurnards up by heanton court years ago and a 2.5lb dab:blink:(yes a dab,and a local record if it wasnt eaten) ..so who knows

· Registered
47 Posts
Hi M8

Great fish and looks like a belter of a weekend. Thought I would add that you can get the giltheads up as far as the Hamble in Hampshire. The venue there was around the moorings / boats much the same as mullet fishing. They are only "in" for a month or so before we lost contact with em. Anyone know if its the same here for the gilts...will they bve around all summer or no?

· Registered
3,627 Posts
Where i fish in cornwall for em the biggies are only supposed to be "in" till the end of the may then then they push out, its worth adding ive caught them all summer up till mid september in the past. I think gilts are still a relatively new species to a lot of anglers hence the lack of info available, plus those in the "know" aren't prepared to disclose too much info in case the commercials start hitting them as they did at Hayle i believe. :unsure:

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.