World Sea Fishing Forums banner

First Gilt

3K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  the-fox 
#1 ·
Had a session for a gilthead yesterday, wasn't expecting much other than schoolies to honest has i've never had one before. First cast of the day resulted in a thumping bite ,fortunately or unfortunately i had the baitrunner on (i was still setting up the second rod:uhuh: ) which meant lots of line streaming off but no hookup when i got to the rod:headhurt:
A short while later had another bite and hooked up this time, only for the hook to pull before landing the fish , the only consilation being that i think was just a small bassbut i was beginning to think it was going to be one of those days;) and perhaps i shouldn't used braid for the first time !!
After a fruitless hour or so the rod hammered over and i was into a fish which certainly wasn't a bass and it was stripping braid off the reel quicker than i could get it back . Eventually after quite a fight and more than few anxious moments( carp rod and small abu cardinal baitrunner loaded with 15lb braid) i landed my first ever gilthead which went 4lb 5oz :clap2:

See less See more
#11 ·
Had to drop the missus into Truro this morning so managed another short session for the giltheads . Only had a couple of hours fishing time and the previous spot was a bit blowy so had to find some where a bit more sheltered , but still managed to find them again, well one anway . Bit smaller this time, about three pounds but still good sport

#18 ·
wow! nice fish mate.proper session:thumbs: you went out after the target species and caught them.:clap3:
when are these bream going to migrate up to north devon? the taw/torridge is ideal for gilts.same as most south coast river systems? are gilts in the camel?or is it a matter of water temp? anyone know?

#20 ·
wow! nice fish mate.proper session:thumbs: you went out after the target species and caught them.:clap3:
when are these bream going to migrate up to north devon? the taw/torridge is ideal for gilts.same as most south coast river systems? are gilts in the camel?or is it a matter of water temp? anyone know?
Well ,they get them on the North Cornwall coast and they get them on parts of the welsh coast/ river systems:g: so do you want to tell us the reason they're avoiding you North Devon boys:blink: :bleh: :laugh:
Seriously , don't know mate but they do seem to be making more and more of an appearance around the south wests estuaries ( even the Tamar) so you never know bud :)

#21 ·
Well ,they get them on the North Cornwall coast and they get them on parts of the welsh coast/ river systems:g: so do you want to tell us the reason they're avoiding you North Devon boys:blink: :bleh: :laugh:
Seriously , don't know mate but they do seem to be making more and more of an appearance around the south wests estuaries ( even the Tamar) so you never know bud :)
At the rate you're going m8 you could always offer (for a small fee lol) to keep a nights haul safe and alive, and do your own introduction scheme and let a few go up there for them to try and catch pmsl

#22 ·
lol :) the taw/torridge is perfect for em.but the tides are BIG and the rivers run of the moors? makes the water cold maybe thats the reason?

#23 ·
I'm certain the torridge isn't suitable wilky, all the river systems i know where gilts are caught are more like rocky inlets developing into estuaries ie salcombe, the yealm and the helford (i don't know the fal). The torridge is featureless really compared to those. Someone correct me if they think i'm wrong :unsure:

#26 ·
:laugh: No way am i venturing up to NORTH Devon, (well not until the smuts arrive :bleh: ) do you not realise what they get upto in them parts:spiteful: :doh: :whistling
smuts have been up yer since april mate...:bleh: check out the old threads(bideford bay).if you hear the faint sound of a banjo playing in the wind you know your in somerset:blink: turn around and pray:kissing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.