World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a period of groundbaiting over the past week or so since seeing mullet on the surface last night was the first session following the groundbaiting.I tried last week before groundbaiting but no joy.
I had a good few bites but only caught one of about a pound and a half.It didn't fight much untilmit saw the net and then took off.It was a thin looking fish so I assume they have just started feeding.
Out again tonight hopefully to connect with a few more.

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
Good news.....they are on the move down our local as well but not feeding yet.....water temp is 9c so not long now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out the share index, braces are about to go through the roof.
The water temp down here is 11degrees, not sure if your end is colder because it's deeper and holds the cold.
There is a cold snap coming, it may send them back to dormancy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well done Chris,perhaps see you there soon
Was going to PM you later:fish:
Probably a bit soon to get any decent sessions but give it a couple of weeks with rising water temps and settled weather and we'll be having some fun.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Well done on you're first mullet of the year. Where did you get a water temp of 11degrees? Did you measure it your self or get it from another source?
I tend to wait until the brown weed bloom has gone before really targeting the mullet in the river but may have a couple hours in the marina if there are a few moving.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well done on you're first mullet of the year. Where did you get a water temp of 11degrees? Did you measure it your self or get it from another source?
I tend to wait until the brown weed bloom has gone before really targeting the mullet in the river but may have a couple hours in the marina if there are a few moving.
Always measure the temperature myself evey trip, also the air temperature, wind speed and direction, sunrise and sunset and also cormorant activity (it's increasing).it may seem obsessive but it helps.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Always measure the temperature myself evey trip, also the air temperature, wind speed and direction, sunrise and sunset and also cormorant activity (it's increasing).it may seem obsessive but it helps.
Cool - nothing wrong in being obsessive over something your passionate about!!
I tend to use the sea surface temperature charts as most of my fishing is done on boats at the moment so I can get away with a far more broad temp figure - i.e. the Upper Bristol Channel is 8degrees, Swansea - Lundys closer to 9 - but has been decreasing over the past 5 days etc

On the shore local variability can effect results quiet a lot - i.e. time of day, state of tide, depth of water etc etc. So there's alot more merit in collecting those figures your self.

·
Team Loonz
8,189 Posts
Check out the share index, braces are about to go through the roof.
The water temp down here is 11degrees, not sure if your end is colder because it's deeper and holds the cold.
There is a cold snap coming, it may send them back to dormancy.
May be the depth difference.....took a reading tonight on a quality digital thermometer and it was 9.5c.....not far off the magic mark though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had a couple of hours tonight, lots of fry on the surface , even saw a dozen sandeels swim past but no sign of the mullet at all.Water temperature is still 11 but the air temperature had fallen to 6.With the cold snap I think I'll give it a bit longer before I stsrt some serious sessions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts