World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Only joined today, but I wanted to get some advice about multipliers and suitable rods.
I mainly fish ok ground such as dungeness, hythe and like Seasalter too.
Deal always seems to be snaggy.
Had a nice Bass yesterday by the lifeboat station at dungeness.
I’ve always fished with fixed spool reels and 12/13ft beach casters.
Any advice about reasonable rod and reel setups would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Paul

· WSF Primary Administrator.
68,455 Posts
Hi all,
Only joined today, but I wanted to get some advice about multipliers and suitable rods.
I mainly fish ok ground such as dungeness, hythe and like Seasalter too.
Deal always seems to be snaggy.
Had a nice Bass yesterday by the lifeboat station at dungeness.
I’ve always fished with fixed spool reels and 12/13ft beach casters.
Any advice about reasonable rod and reel setups would be appreciated.
Many thanks
Paul
Welcome to WSF:)

· Premium Member
6,650 Posts
Hiya Paul,
Welcome aboard mate.
Don't know what your budget is but-
If you're only using a cheap f/spool set up it might be worth just upgrading your rod & f/spool reel rather than plumping for a multiplier set up.
Distance wise a decent f/spool set up will hold it's own against most multiplier set ups using mono but put braid on a f/spool & you should be well in front (braid on a multiplier does'nt really work).
Rick;)

· Registered
1,994 Posts
Hi Paul, what's your budget?

If you only fish clean-light mixed ground, it may be worth sticking with the fixed spool, it takes a long time to become 100% comfortable with a multiplier ;)
Fixed spools are not limited to clean/mixed ground. Unsure if that is how you intended that comment to be perceived?
For the rough I'd rather have 60lb braid on a tough fixed spool like a spinfisher than 30lb of stretchy mono on a multiplier.

I used to lose so much gear with multis and mono, barely lose a thing now I use braid. I use 30lb braid. It's the lack of stretch that makes it so good for me to get gear out of snags. Mono just stretches and you don't transfer much force to get your gear up, braid it's instant and bumps my leads up and out most of the time.

· Registered
469 Posts
I’d stick with F/S, I made the change and I’ll never look back, use a pair of penn surfblasters matched up with a century t800 and a 900, better and faster retrieve (big Benefit when fishing over the rough) I can put a bait further than a lot of people fishing around me with multipliers, I’ve fished some rough ground with not much issue, the drag can slip a little but that’s under a lot of pressure, and it’s nice and simple fishing, I don’t miss wasting half a sesh picking out a birdie on a bad day, havnt tried them with braid yet but that’s my next plan, F/s is the way forward for me

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all,
This is exactly why I joined the forum!!
Great advice.
I was being recommended a Penn Mag 525 and a 15’9 penn rampage II
Was going to cost somewhere in the region of 260 as a package.
If I was to spend on a better fixed spool, do you guys have any recommendations?
My rods are decent enough but perhaps I’ve neglected the reel.
Reels have never cost me more than about 50quid and that’s probably 6-7 years ago now.
Rods have typically been 13’ beach casters costing about 120- 160 which is enough for me.
Any recommendations would be great.

· Registered
89 Posts
Fixed spools are not limited to clean/mixed ground. Unsure if that is how you intended that comment to be perceived?
For the rough I'd rather have 60lb braid on a tough fixed spool like a spinfisher than 30lb of stretchy mono on a multiplier.

I used to lose so much gear with multis and mono, barely lose a thing now I use braid. I use 30lb braid. It's the lack of stretch that makes it so good for me to get gear out of snags. Mono just stretches and you don't transfer much force to get your gear up, braid it's instant and bumps my leads up and out most of the time.
Sorry Bacon, that wasn't how it was meant to be percieved- I personally prefer 40lb mono and a slosh 30 for the rough stuff, which is why I worded it like that, based my comment off my own preferences!

I feel that it may be false economy to switch to a multiplier if the op wants more distance, because the same casting style with a fixed spool and thin braid will cast further in the right conditions. Probably should have worded it like that :)

Interesting point you raise about bumping out of snags on braid :thumbsup:

· Registered
89 Posts
I've used a few Shimano fixed spool reels, they've all been good quality. I haven't used one, but it might be worth looking at the Ultegra range, I know they are pretty highly rated. Akios fixed spools are nice too, such as the Cobalt/Scora, although they haven't got the guts or durability compared to some of their competitors.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've used a few Shimano fixed spool reels, they've all been good quality. I haven't used one, but it might be worth looking at the Ultegra range, I know they are pretty highly rated. Akios fixed spools are nice too, such as the Cobalt/Scora, although they haven't got the guts or durability compared to some of their competitors.
I’ll take a look.
Thank

· Registered
1,994 Posts
Shimano Ultegra xsd/xtd 14000 size, same reel. But xtd is black, xsd is silver. £120 ISH.

You can go up or down with your budget and find something from the Shimano stable.
Aerlex 10000 £70
Speedcast 14000 £100 no spare spool
Ultegra 14000 £120-130 spare spool and more bearings
Ultegra ci4 xsc/xtc 14000 £200 as above. But lighter and stiffer ci4 composite body, better gears. Faster drag etc (I have 2 of these)
Power aero xtb/Xsb £280+, as above but full alloy body etc etc.

Reason I like them so much is that they have excellent line lay for braid and are light.

If you want heavy duty and don't mind the weight take a look at spinfisher VI. Theyhave a long cast version as well.

People also rate okuma surf 8000 (£70), daiwa BG, Penn battle II LC etc.

· Premium Member
6,650 Posts
Hi all,
This is exactly why I joined the forum!!
Great advice.
I was being recommended a Penn Mag 525 and a 15’9 penn rampage II
Was going to cost somewhere in the region of 260 as a package.
If I was to spend on a better fixed spool, do you guys have any recommendations?
My rods are decent enough but perhaps I’ve neglected the reel.
Reels have never cost me more than about 50quid and that’s probably 6-7 years ago now.
Rods have typically been 13’ beach casters costing about 120- 160 which is enough for me.
Any recommendations would be great.
Hiya again Paul,
Loads of choice on f/spools that'll do the job.
Shimano Aerlex- cheapish & reliable but not really suited to braid.
Penn Surfblaster 8000- a bit like marmite (some love em & some hate em).
Penn Affinity.
Shimano Beastmaster.
Shimano Ultegra.
Penn Battle ll lc.
Penn Spinfisher.

Rick;)

· Registered
1,994 Posts
I found the Penn surfblasters flex too much for my liking, I have a few marks where you cannot stop winding, fish on or not, otherwise you'll snag. The spool was wobbling all over the shop, not very reassuring. Saying that I did crank in a 13lb+ thornback with it over said rocks and it did do it. But I wouldn't want to do it repeatedly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.