World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rcamileri and me took the boat out yesterday evening from West Bay. Our first planned trip to end in darkness. we made the decision after speaking to Local Coastgaurd and Harbourmaster and we were looking forward to possibly the best conditions we could have hoped for.
Basically we never really targeted anything, while on our way towards Golden Cap we occasionally stopped off for Mackerel. We could see the larger boats off the ledges and could have easily got there safely but decided against it (no point getting too clever)

Anyway on to eipe for a while with nothing but Pout for company so on we wentever hopeful (foolishly).
onto Seatown, this tickled me to be honest because we could see the holiday anglers having no more success than us at copping for the mackerel. we then cleared off to golden Cap which proved to be incredibly shallow with again nothing but pout.
Back to Seatown and I was aching to drop the anchor for the first time, I think we got it right as we were in no more than 20ft of water with 60ft of rope out. the Anchor worked a treat but to be Honest even after the tide turned it was never going to move us.
we had I believe 3 hours there with nothing but a couple of thornies to show for it. Marvelous evening mind.
It was well past dark when we headed back to West Bay and I believe its about 4 miles? we had the engine at @80% all the way back, it was a bit freaky finding our way back into Harbour in dark but we did ok.
Now the ChrisP bit.
obviously it was well early in the morning when we got the boat back to Richards and we decided to leave it there and sort everything out in the morning. Richard calls me about 10.00 to say the outboard was not pumping water:eek:hmy: first thing I think is how lucky we were last night!

I call Chris and asked allsorts of questions regarding Impellors and the first thing he suggested was to see if the outlet was blocked and to try some stiff rig body to help unblock it. so over i go to richards this evening and we set about the task with no doubt we could do it ok.
10 mins later I call ChrisP again to check on something and it transpires that we had been pushing the stiff line up the bloody exhaust :wacko:
once we had been made aware we try the outlet and bingo, blocked up.
off with the engine cover, take the pipe off the outlet end and start the engine, water is pumping fine so we know where we are. 5 mins later and we have the problem sorted.

Niether of us can thank chris enough, not just for the advice but for actually having us work on our own engine (He knew what we were doing, we did not)
thing is, is the fack we did not flush for 8 hours after that cuased the blockage or was it something that has built up?
either way we were well lucky last night becuase apparently if it had happened while we were running the enging home we would have gone for five mins before buggering the gear. Thanks chris, thankyou very much indeed.

see theres a lesson here, all the gear we got for the boat, decent handheld vhf, Gps, lifejackets and horn, alsorts in fact. all the gear lying there waiting for an incident but hopefully never used. we had it all last night despite the fact it Pi**ed me off buying it.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
we learnt something else too, we need marks! all the srops we made last night we where we would fish but just out of rainge of the beach. bugger all point wandering round looking for stuff in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Sounds a great night Ian. Its great just being out there aint it? Glad you got your boat sorted and i am sure the fish will come in time. :sun:

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quite right! Local advice on marks and info on which tides, weather conditions etc would be a great help. Glad to see that you are getting out there Ian!
I have to say Pedro, the boat is fantastic. Very stable and a pleasure to be out on.
it certainly lifted my spirits that night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts