World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello fishing people.
what a good site this is, i've been reading it for a while, there's so much info on here.
this question may have been asked before, but i've not found it yet, so here goes.

i've been fishing about 4 years and recently i changed from f/spool to a multi.
i got myself a penn 525 mag and a sidewinder rod.

how do you tame this reel?
i did what neil mackellow said,,, under filled the spool by 5 mm, put thick engine oil on the bearings, but i still get big birdys unless i got the mags on full.
the trouble with the mags on full is that i can only cast about 80 yrds, i can go a lot further than that with a f/spool.
i wish i never got the reel, what a waste of 115 pnd.
i know it is prob my casting that is at fault, but can i do any thing else to the reel to stop it over running ?

thanx for any help !

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi mate.
Welcome to WSF.

If you know the basics of using a multi then the answer is....practise makes perfect. Time spent on the field is invaluable.
Just one thing and sorry if I am teaching my granny how to suck eggs ..but are you trapping the spool as soon as the lead hits the water?

There will be plenty of people on here ready and able to give advice so keep posting bud.
All the best,
Terry F.

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick reply, and it was off a moderater, well chuffed.

thats another problem i have, when i do manage a good cast, i stop the reel as soon as the weight hits the water.
and then my clipped down rig doesn't unclip.
when should i stop the reel ?

i get all my birdys at the begining of the cast, i dont think it is my leader knot cos i do a neat double grinner.

·
Wales Team Captain
2,361 Posts
hi I think im correct in saying that the 525 doesnt have a levelwind,are you leveling the line acroos the spool and not leting in rise in the middle as this can cause the overruns/birdys when casting.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
The bait clip should release,at the latest, when the rig hits bottom.If they are not releasing you may have your snood cut a bit short creating too much tension for it to release from the clip.
Thumb the spool as soon as the lead hits water, release it for a short while as the rig sinks through the water,then wind down to the lead.
Hope this helps bud.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Hi Numba1, i switched from a fspool to a 525mag at xmas and terry f. is right practice makes perfect i started of unable to reach anywere near were i could with a fspool but after 8 months i am now able to hit around 150yds (way more than anything iv done with a fspool) with a baited trace and 5ozs of lead. try make sure your line is balanced to reduce overuns, i never new about this until i read it in a mag but it helps, as for the bait clip query sorry i cant help as iv never had that problem:confused: ????
hope this helps a bit - lewis

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
when casting i watch the spool and feather it lightly with my thumb this way i can see if its going to over run. i feather at the start let go to get the distance and feather again just before the lead hits the water,hope that helps m8 :)

·
Banned
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all your replies.

as for my rigs not unclipping i dont have this problem with my f/spool, so i dont think it is because the snood is too short.
i stop the reel as soon as the weight hits the water and i keep it stopped, so this is probably why they dont unclip.
i guess i'm going to have to practice more :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts