World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard a few fish were showing at herne bay so a quick phone call to me mate dave the night before to arrange a skate trip. Got to the beach front at 11 am (low tide) not fished there before to find the tide a tad low. Having seen a local fella and asked a few questions on where to fish ect we set off to av a cup of coffee and a sandwich. Made our way to the beach around midday and set up. After a few casts around with a plain lead just to try and get a feel of the bottom i found no snags and the ground seemed firm and sandy. Armed my 4/0 pulley rigs with bluey I started chucking baits into the water to wait for that skate bite to happen. After a couple of casts a pin whiting took a liking to the bait and I thought here we go found the crabs to be stripping the baits as well. 3 hours in and a local sets up 30 yards to my right puts a Sandeel on and before getting his offer rod set up he had a nice slack line bite and reeled in a nice 8lb plus skate. Being there for well over 4 hours I was thinking it ain't going to be my day so I cut a small piece of bluey maybe a inch long and hit it as far as I could with a 5 oz lead went over and sat with my mate dave when looking at my rods that skate bite I'd been waiting for a slow pull down then the rod bouncing back upwards for a nice slack line bite. Ran across to my rod reeled into the fish and felt weight from the off. A nice little fight all the way in resulting in my first skate of the tipping the scales at 11lb. A good day was had not many fish but nice to get out and av a go until next time tight lines.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
"Well done on the fish !! and an informative report which will be put to good use.
I am beginning to think that this is where I could be going wrong ?? IE putting out whole bluey. I have blanked 6 times now !! so I think on the next trip I will do the same as you and just use a small chunk.
It's strange because I had my biggest Bass on mackerel chunk which was only about an inch cube.

All the best Rob

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Nice double from the beach, big well done.

·
Registered
285 Posts
What a lovely Thorny never caught one from the shore hope they are around in next couple of weeks or so as will have a chance to make a few attempts. Would appreciate going with someone that can show me how to try and catch one i anybody is willing but am only available weekends at the moment also live North Kent :clap2:

·
Read Only
2,618 Posts
Well done Chunky makes my 5lb plus look like a flounder lol :thumbs: the photo was worth the wait, was nice to meet you, you was just leaving when I caught.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts