World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a trip planned last week but it rained and I postponed it. Yes I chickened out!! Anyway the weather yesterday looked good for either a dab trip or ray trip but it seems that the dabs this year are mostly very small so I opted to try Shingle Street and experiment a little. Arrived around 17.30 and fished 22.30. So, one rod was set up match style with two size 2 hooks above the lead and a 2/0 for a bonus fish below the lead. The other rod was set up with my 'go to' ray rigs with 3/0 hook and big baits. The baits were to be frozen blacks, herring & squid. I wanted to see how well the match rig would do against a ray rig at this time of year.
Well the match rig was a constant stream of whiting, mostly doubles and trebles with only two casts with one fish and no blanks. The whiting were mixed sizes up to 31cm with 18 sizable. Last cast on this rod was a treble including a ray of 38cm across the wings. So that rig had done pretty well.
The other rod also caught whiting although fewer and 4 blank casts ,10 sizable and only two undersized. This rod however did also get the intended target of rays. Five in total measuring across the wings at 35, 38, 38, 41 & 43. I weighed the 43 and it went 3lb 10oz. Not big rays but still worth catching.
So big baits and big hooks did better on this occasion but I still have the question of whether the match rig could have had even more fish if I'd fished at speed as I would have done in a match. Working two rods slows it down a lot. So it's still a quandary as to which method would be best in a match where rays were possible. At least both worked.
It was a great night in windless conditions and a flat calm sea and it fished surprisingly well for January but things are not what they used to be anymore. I counted four other anglers lights but I have no idea how they did.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Excellent and useful write up Scuttlebutt. For that location, my preference would be the match rig you used although I'd perhaps go to 1 up and 1 down if distance was needed or in higher winds.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well done getting 5 rays this time of year is a good result .
It was six in total lol. Five on one rod and one on the other. Not what I expected for January. It makes me wonder if we are going to get even higher numbers again this year

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
You were fishing for the pleasure of it but now your giving yourself a headache if you do any match fishing oh the quandary of it all
Bert(old yin)
Ps good luck

·
Registered
284 Posts
Nice write up Mr butt....

Don't know why but just love catching rays.

My goal for this year is just to get out to New places and meet some new faces and enjoy times.

Nutsy

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent result and an interesting experiment, well done John. Will you be targeting the double century this year?
I won't be setting any targets this year Alan. I'm hoping to get to travel a bit this year with less restrictions. Plaice next month for starters and Sussex /Hants in May for undulates and hounds. Later in the year maybe west for small eyed, spotted and blonde. We'll see how the year goes. I may even have a go for a stinger. Of course there's also the Norfolk bass and I know an expert I could fish with for those;)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice write up Mr butt....

Don't know why but just love catching rays.

My goal for this year is just to get out to New places and meet some new faces and enjoy times.

Nutsy
You are more than welcome to join me at the street Nutsyfish. Just PM me if you fancy a meet up.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I won't be setting any targets this year Alan. I'm hoping to get to travel a bit this year with less restrictions. Plaice next month for starters and Sussex /Hants in May for undulates and hounds. Later in the year maybe west for small eyed, spotted and blonde. We'll see how the year goes. I may even have a go for a stinger. Of course there's also the Norfolk bass and I know an expert I could fish with for those;)
LOL 😂 best you PM @DanTe then to find out where the Bass are, I know I do. 😊

February Plaice 'darn sarf' hmm interesting. As is the rest of your potential itinerary. 👍

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As you know Alan, the plaice fishing needs clear water, calm seas, and the right tides to coincide. I'll probably head for Seaford where we meet before and I'll keep in touch. You will see when it looks like being good to go as I know you watch the weather as closely as I do. How I would love this weeks weather on a big tide in February!!

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
As you know Alan, the plaice fishing needs clear water, calm seas, and the right tides to coincide. I'll probably head for Seaford where we meet before and I'll keep in touch. You will see when it looks like being good to go as I know you watch the weather as closely as I do. How I would love this weeks weather on a big tide in February!!
Seaford most certainly is a fine beach to fish, though personally I do also like Brighton. There's a new moon on 2nd March, so if the atmospheric pressure is high and the wind is from the North East, I may well see you there. 😊

1 - 14 of 14 Posts