World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first trip to Loch Duich today

I headed off from Inverness and arrived at the loch around 11ish. Quick scope about and pulled in at a lay by on the opposite side from the loch. I found a nice spot with flat rocks to set up and get the limes in the water. Beautiful scenery and nice calm water with the only problem being a seal kicking about

First cast first fish caught on a float with raw peeled prawn with a little mackerel cocktail. Pollock around a lb. Luck ran out pretty and consequently lost tackle 3 times running with my other rod on a lead weight with the bait around 2 foot up, mackerel again. I went for a nose around and moved along to another ledge about 20 metres along

This is where the day turned for the better
On my rod with the float was at least a bite every cast and landed about 6 more pollock and a couple of coalies, not massive but so my mrs says it’s not the size that matters...all returned safe and sound to grow

Meanwhile on my lead weight rod, another decent pollock around the 2lb mark and then a massive tug/bend in the rod and after a bit of a fight pulling into the kelp I pulled out my first spotted dogfish I know everyone says they’re a pain but was happy to catch one for the first time

Kept going till I ran out of bait and had a blast on the spinners/mackeral feathers but no takes on them at all for some reason? Then the midges appeared and made a sharp exit lol

All in all a great day out, a few fish, awesome weather and fantastic scenery. Ideal ☀

Attachments

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
That second fish is a little cod I think. .

Reactions: CraigK

·
Registered
828 Posts
You picked a good spot... suprised you didn't get any wrasse on the float gear?
Enjoyed reading your report - well done!

Cheers
Steven

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You picked a good spot... suprised you didn't get any wrasse on the float gear?
Enjoyed reading your report - well done!

Cheers
Steven
Hopefully get some next sesh bud

Tarbet Ness with a float in the next few days which I hear is rife with them Any ideas of places that are good for mackeral within a shortish drive from Inverness?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Had my first trip to Loch Duich today

I headed off from Inverness and arrived at the loch around 11ish. Quick scope about and pulled in at a lay by on the opposite side from the loch. I found a nice spot with flat rocks to set up and get the limes in the water. Beautiful scenery and nice calm water with the only problem being a seal kicking about

First cast first fish caught on a float with raw peeled prawn with a little mackerel cocktail. Pollock around a lb. Luck ran out pretty and consequently lost tackle 3 times running with my other rod on a lead weight with the bait around 2 foot up, mackerel again. I went for a nose around and moved along to another ledge about 20 metres along

This is where the day turned for the better
On my rod with the float was at least a bite every cast and landed about 6 more pollock and a couple of coalies, not massive but so my mrs says it’s not the size that matters...all returned safe and sound to grow

Meanwhile on my lead weight rod, another decent pollock around the 2lb mark and then a massive tug/bend in the rod and after a bit of a fight pulling into the kelp I pulled out my first spotted dogfish I know everyone says they’re a pain but was happy to catch one for the first time

Kept going till I ran out of bait and had a blast on the spinners/mackeral feathers but no takes on them at all for some reason? Then the midges appeared and made a sharp exit lol

All in all a great day out, a few fish, awesome weather and fantastic scenery. Ideal ☀
People slag the doggies mate but they have saved many a blank even for the boys who hate them. Good report buddy

·
Registered
236 Posts

Tarbet Ness with a float in the next few days which I hear is rife with them Any ideas of places that are good for mackeral within a shortish drive from Inverness?

Not sure about Tarbat Ness being rife with Wrasse. I have had two sessions there over the last four weeks using every soft lure in my collection plus float with prawn and Mackerel and just one palm sized Wrasse for my efforts plus a couple of very small Pollack. I hope you have more luck than I.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure about Tarbat Ness being rife with Wrasse. I have had two sessions there over the last four weeks using every soft lure in my collection plus float with prawn and Mackerel and just one palm sized Wrasse for my efforts plus a couple of very small Pollack. I hope you have more luck than I.
Aw really? Oh well I’ll just hope for the best then lol Might head to Ullapool instead for another blast at Rhue Point or drive a bit further round for a scope about

·
Registered
828 Posts
Take your spinning gear or feathers to Tarbat Ness and you'll pick up mackerel if they're about.
Best baits for wrasse are crab, lug and rag...

Tight lines
Steven

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers guys will give it a try I picked up some fire tail shads yesterday so see how I get on with them

1 - 12 of 12 Posts