World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a few hours spinning at this mark yesterday afternoon, went round from the white cottage to the first small gulley and was fishing into reasonably deep water.
Caught zilch, was using large toby's and leadheads. Any suggestions for best time of tide to fish, I managed to get there just as tide was falling so suspect this was part of the problem. Anyway had a fine afternoon, weather warm and scenery fantastic. Going up to Dunnet Head tonight for a couple of days fishing, heres hoping.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I normally find around high water, early morning and late evening tides to give the best results and Crawton to be better than Portlethen - deeper water and more tidal action.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I quite agree! And if conditions are good fish can be caught all through the rising tide and maybe for up to two hours after. And by good conditions I mean a coloured sea with a swell running, especially after an easterly. But if you can find a good bit of kelp its amazing how you can do on a still, warm, sunny summer's day.

And Portlethen can be quite good for cod and conger, but I do prefer Crawton for its excellent wrasse. Its also a better mark from a safety point of view if there is a swell.

If you want to spin for mackerel, the sandy-bottomed marks, just south of Aberdeen are most consistent (Red Rocks, for example) or go for a drive in the car along the coast and look for a spire of diving gulls.

Andy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts