World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - first attempt at a fishing report thing, and only just taken up beachcasting again after being stuck in London for 14 years - anyway back home in wales awaiting my house move to rhoose ... Went to Barry Sunday afternoon - and ended up on the Knap (not been there since childhood). High tide was about 2.30pm - and maybe 20-30 guys fishing there. I ended up nearer the East side (looked for the biggest gap between existing fisherman in case my rusty casting annoyed anybody).

Not much caught by anyone at high tide. The exception being two lads to my left whose pendulum casting gave them an extra 50 yards on most of us. They seemed to be taking whiting at regula intervals.

An hour after high tide - most people had gone home. Two guys kindly left me their squid and Rag (which was better than my rather feeble Rag i'd bought two days before) - I figured I'd stay till a few hours after dark fishing the tide out. Started catching Whiting about an hour and a half after high tide - and continued to catch until about 7.pm. By that time I was down to the almost flat-sand - and I suspect my inept casting (probably 60 meters on a good cast) was not finding much depth at that point.

9 Whiting caught in all - 4 of which were a fair size (close to, or just over a pound) - the rest went back to grow a little bigger. Was using a two hook paternoster - funnily enough, every fish was caught on the shorter top hook. (size 1.0 hook about 5 inches off the trace). Whiting were going for everything - but especially for Rag tipped with either mackeral or squid.

Ok - probably an everage trip for some of you experienced people - but for me just starting back into fishing - 'chuffed to bits I was'.

Chris.

·
Registered
281 Posts
well done mate. done better than me. last 5 attemps in barry have left me without as much as a knock.

you were right to wait till after dark, i have found the knap becomes much more productive at night.

will keep fishing it though, 1 or 2 big cod come off the knap every year, just hoping that this year it will be me. let's hope some of the foreshore codling make their to barry!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well done,
Only just started back fishing myself (and complete novice with a beachcaster) and I've blanked on the few occasions I've been out. So you did well. This forum is a great place to come to hear what's happening in the area and to pick up advice from the experts.
Penn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts