World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Off on Tuesday to have a go at attempting to catch plaice and flounder out of Weymouth. Any, any, any, advice greatfully received and acted upon.....I have read Mike 's related pages about these fish on this website but need "more input".

I have a Shimano Exage 4000FA and a
Shimano Beastmaster S. T.C. T.B.M.S. 240/270 M.H. (is this the longest spec' of a rod)?
Do I take them or leave them in the shed and consentrate on my Shakespere Euroboat and Penn 85 with braid (never used in anger)...Looking forward to your advice Gent's Cheers, Tony O-P.:unsure: :unsure:

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I don't know much about plaice fishing but this rig caught me 11 plaice to 3.6lb wednesday baited with rag.
I changed the spinner to a silver, and mainly black beads with an odd green one thrown in and a tungsten bead on end to pin it to the sea bed,Hope this helps Andy

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that NeedlesCod Master. I shall construct a couple. Do I drag this rig along the top of the water, or load some lead for the depths?

But listening to the shipping forcast This (Sunday) morning, I think the trip is looking increasingly 'iffy', but things may change by Tuesday.

If you see a hirsute old phart hanging off the crosstrees of T.S. Royalist middle of April, give me a wave. (I'll tack a couple of your rigs along with me and see if I can trail them off the back of the 'boat'). Cheers, Tony O-P.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Thanks for that NeedlesCod Master. I shall construct a couple. Do I drag this rig along the top of the water, or load some lead for the depths?

But listening to the shipping forcast This (Sunday) morning, I think the trip is looking increasingly 'iffy', but things may change by Tuesday.

If you see a hirsute old phart hanging off the crosstrees of T.S. Royalist middle of April, give me a wave. (I'll tack a couple of your rigs along with me and see if I can trail them off the back of the 'boat'). Cheers, Tony O-P.
i fished it at at ancour -pinned to the bottom or you can drift it across bottom.

T

·
0 Posts
Needles' rig looks a cracker and will be similar to what the skipper will suggest.
Leave the Euroboat at home and take a nice light outfit.

If it willcope with 6oz dangling off it (most you'll need on the shambles whilst drifting) then it will be fine.

You won't be catching flounder although there will be a slim chance of a Turbot for anyone brave enought to sit it out with a fish bait instead of rag.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Needles' rig looks a cracker and will be similar to what the skipper will suggest.
Leave the Euroboat at home and take a nice light outfit.

If it willcope with 6oz dangling off it (most you'll need on the shambles whilst drifting) then it will be fine.

You won't be catching flounder although there will be a slim chance of a Turbot for anyone brave enought to sit it out with a fish bait instead of rag.
found the rig in a search not mine just changed to red hooks and black beads with a tungsten bead last by hook(third heavier than lead gonner be big in fishing soon) and 1 lime green in the blacks so it looked like seed mussel's.Never been plaice fishing but it caught me 11 and many dropped fish including a big 1 on the surface.

T

·
0 Posts
Colours of beads are aninteresting theory. Purple seem to work very well with green or black too.

The tungsten bead is also very interesting. Will have to give that a go.

I like to vary the rig you have drawn very slightly by using a wishbone style instead of the one you have used.
You load the beads all the away up a 30cm hook length, line passes through the eye of a swivel and then load beads the same length down the other side.
1/0 hooks loaded with rag and tipped with squid.
10cm to a small delta spoon and then a 1oz coloured bullet before a 4 foot trace to a longish boom and your mainline.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts