World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought A Quick Silver 4.30m inflatable with a 30hp Mariner two stroke outboard engine.
I intend to try it for the first time next Saturday.
We will be launching from Aberdovey. Can someone help me with advice on how to fish the area, please!
How far out to go? What tactics and gear to use? What bait and rigs to use?
I do not have a fish finder and GPS installed yet.

·
Registered
449 Posts
To be honest, I think you are too early to catch anything much yet. Of course, I do not fish from Aberdovey however I am confident the fishing cannot be that good as Mikatcha has been moved back to Aberystwyth at the moment.

Don't expect too much and you won't get too little.

You are too early for the tope and bream and probably the mackeral too.

I am sure somebody else will be able to help more, but please take care, don't be too dissapointed not to get out if you don't get out and don't go out if it is too rough. And please take great care on the Aberdovey Bar.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hi mate, just taken a look.

16mph winds, which is not too much I wouldn't imagine for a RIB, however it will be very uncomfortable to anchor up.

The other thing is, the wind is coming down the river which will make it worse.

Maybe you should consider another launching site? That is my opinion, but I may be well off the mark.

Cheers, Ed

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice ed2sdad!
Can you suggest a more suitable launching site, please!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not realy wilson17.
I've never been on a rib before.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Hi Vlad, you mention that you don't have those 2 essential "toys" GPS and fishfinder, I take it that you do have a vhf radio and flares?

If not I would wait until you have. No matter what boat and where you are going to use it, without adequate means of summoning help you are another grim statistic waiting to be recorded.

And despite what many will tell you, mobile phone is not adequate!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hi Vlad,
I've fished with Charlie on all three of his boats from Aberdovey during the last 20 years.
We have taken Tope before the Mackerel arrive using frozen Mackerel or feathered Whiting as bait, the earliest we ever fished was the begining of May, and we now fish from mid June onwards as the fishing is better.
A word about Aberdovey, the Aberdovey bar is not a nice place. The seas around the bar can be huge and not representative of whats going on out to sea. We have on one occasion been traveling almost vertical just like the film the perfect storm going over the bar, and it's been fine half a mile further out.
If it is wind over tide Aberdovey bar is not the place to be.
There are launching ramps at Twywyn and further north at Barmouth, I,ve never used them but suspect they would be better options than Aberdovey.

If you do choose to launch at Aberdovey have a chat with the harbourmaster before you set off, he can advise you, his office is on the quay next to the outward bound.

I can't go giving you any of Charlies marks, but I will say in 20 years we have never turned south after clearing the fairway bouy!

Cheers
Gary

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the valuable advice!
I will take it on board!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hi Vlad,
if you do not have insurance they will not let you launch. I have fished there a few times but only in summer. The reef to the north is where i have fished but i wouldn't go out in a NE 16mph wind especially if you get wind against tide, the waves stand up infront of you.

cheers
Martin

·
Registered
220 Posts
why not leave the fishing gear at home and just go out and play with the boat. that way you will learn how it handles. drifts. rides at anchor ect, and how to get it off and on the trailer. then on the next trip you can make a full frontal attack on the fish

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
why not leave the fishing gear at home and just go out and play with the boat. that way you will learn how it handles. drifts. rides at anchor ect, and how to get it off and on the trailer. then on the next trip you can make a full frontal attack on the fish

I totaly agree with this very sensible sugestion.

Afishionado

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree entirely with your advice alana!
I’ve decided to equip the boat with a fish finder and gps and to go on the VHF radio course first before launching the boat.
The first launch I will do at Oxwich on a calm day close inshore, without fishing, to learn to control the boat and to learn how to anchor it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts