World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.

Great Forum.

I will soon be going to Isle of Wight with the kids and it has been suggested we do some beach fishing. I have never fished before so have been trawling the net for info, sadly I am so confused as to what to get and use. So many rods and reels.

I suppose I am looking for a very simple set up. I know there are many bit and bobs I could get, however without the proper skills this I feel would be a waste of time and money and frustrating if we get it wrong.

My question to you wonderful forum folk is to ask about the rod. I don't think we intend to cast far so would like a rod that can fish the surf plus harbour walls or sea walls. Could I use a shorter boat rod with bog standard reel, some strong line and a few hooks etc. Casting distance is not that important yet so would be happy with a strong rod with some flexibility. As a complete novice I do not fancy upsetting the pros by attempting to master a 12 foot rod for the first time ha ha.

I do not want to go over the top with gear, would even be happy to free line a few worms. To me this is something to share with my two boys. If we get a bite then that is a bonus, if not then we still would have had fun being on the beach.

If we can get to grips with the basics then we can always hit a tackle shop for any extras. What we may do is get the rod and reel online and visit a local shop for the rest.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Hi m8,i would go for a 10 feet long bass/pier rod.that can cast 2/4 oz in waight.I would use a fixed spool to start with.Then move on to a multiplyer.line for the reel sould be 18to22 pound line.Rigs to use is a running leadger with size 1.0/3.0 hooks.Bait sandeel/lug.All the best marty.:fish:

·
Registered
950 Posts
I would get either the Shakey salt spin combo or the penn powerstix bass combo from the site shop, plus some feather and hokki rigs, and some 4" shads.
I have 2 mates who have the shakey combo and I have the penn combo. They are good general purpose outfits, that should last you for a few years.
There is a review of the penn this month on this site and the shaky is just a lighter fishing version of the penn.
pm the site shop for advice.

I,d pick up leads, hooks and bait from a local shop on the isle of Wight and get yourself advice on venues and rigs to use whilst you,re there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks chaps, lots of good advice which I shall be looking into after this is typed. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Where on the island are you staying?
If on the east/south side, then I suggest a trip to Scotties in Sandown where you will find Paul very helpful in suggesting places to fish, best rigs to use and will even sort you out a basic outfit suitable for the fishing you will expect to do.
Enjoy your visit and good luck.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Daz..cant really help that much as im a complete beginner.

However regards price i paid just £52 for road/reel/shockleader,swivels/clips and weight/2 hook flapper and rod stick holder.

No doubt budget kit but thats what i wanted just too get a taste of whats involved...had first beach session yesterday and loved it.

So price wise its pretty cheap just too get started.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts