World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
M planning a trip out of Eastney this Wednesday, after a long tow from Luton. HW is at 1800hrs so it will be a long day. Thinking of trying the Nab first of all, then bullocks and then the placid grounds for the rising water.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
good luck :thumbs:

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi All.
We managed to get out Thursday. As I had an electrical fault on the boat and wanted to check it all out before setting off so Thursday it was. Me and my fishing buddy launched off Eastney after picking up some quality bait from the Industrial Est, Rag and Peelers. Thankfully the pebbles had been cleared form the ramp. Launched a low tide just gone 12 ish. and anchored up just in Hayling bay, so we could set up and get organised. we were targeting plaice and had only light tackle I managed to catch a Sole and a small schoolie but nothing else so we then moved and drifted Hayling bay near the fun fair with no joy, so we moved over to eastney side and tried drifting again with no joy. Which doesn't leave me with much confidence in our drift method but the pace seemed to be near perfect with just a light ripple on the water. wwe then moved to Bullocks and caught a small bass, I think in was eatable but decided to put it back, some nice wrasse, weavers, small whitting, and a pout. Lost no end of end terminal to the rock and kelp. Moved back to Church Rock (outer Hayling) for one last try at the plaice and Trevor caught one and that made our day, we both had other small stuff and a few knocks that never materialized. The weather was fantastic and we fished till the sun set. Not many fish but another great day afloat. Great company and excellent weather, you could have mistaken it for the Med. we have taken a few pictures that I will upload tomorrow.

·
Registered
11,751 Posts
The Plaice fishing off Hayling and Eastney is fast becoming a non event and you would have been better off fishing somewhere like New Grounds for the first of the Smoothhound, Rays and Dogs.

Steveh24

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
We fished the New Grounds on Thursday and had dogs, whiting a couple of rays and a bream so not that good. Moved onto Nab Outer Rock and could not get a bite, then into Sandown Bay which was barren as well. Plenty of boats out but we only saw one garfish caught.

I hope Wednesdays forecast improves for you as well. Fives at the moment but time for it to change.

·
Registered
11,751 Posts
We fished the New Grounds on Thursday and had dogs, whiting a couple of rays and a bream so not that good. Moved onto Nab Outer Rock and could not get a bite, then into Sandown Bay which was barren as well. Plenty of boats out but we only saw one garfish caught.

I hope Wednesdays forecast improves for you as well. Fives at the moment but time for it to change.
It's still a bit early, but things should improve in the next couple of weeks, I'm late getting my boat back on her moorings this year, but it doesn't look like I've missed very much and hope to be out on the Utopia over the next set of neap tides at the beginning of May for some Smoothhounds and Tope.

Steveh24

Steveh24

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Guys,

We fished around Hayling Bay on Monday. Had about 12 fish in the day. Mostly plaice but some tiny whiting and pout too. My dad was over from Ireland and got the best fish of the day. A 4.5lb bass.

We fished the W Solent later and had around a dozen smallish bream and endless doggies.

As Steven says its still early but thankfully seems to be picking up.

Tight lines

Paul

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts