World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm looking to get out fishing on Saturday if the conditions allow looking to launch out of new Brighton but have never fished the Mersey before does anyone have any good pointers they could help me with please eg best spots to head out for the cod any preferred rigs and bait etc etc sorry for all the question but I'm new to sea fishing still trying to find my feet with everything. Thankyou in advance

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you haven't fished the Mersey befor go out with someone who can show you the ropes it is a dangerous river and on a big tide it's very strong. Rigs I'd use uptide rigs bait fresh black and squid and fishing I'd fish off the clock face on the Liverpool side but like I said you need to no what your doing on the Mersey good luck

·
Registered
692 Posts
You must have the right insurance but not sure if you can just launch
You will have to check with the council but like I said be watch what your doing down ther ther is always someone watching so make sure you have all your paper work up to date

·
Registered
131 Posts
To launch at New Brighton you are supposed to have a launch permit from the Council but issued and administrated by Safewater Training.
You need to go to their office just up the road from the slip with your payment, a copy of your car and boat insurance and a minimum of a RYA power boat level 2 certificate.
Coincidentally Safewater Training do Level two courses and others.

Most of the serious fishing on the Mersey is uptiding because of the strong tides with 8 oz gripper leads and bait is usually black lug,crab and squid in winter with fish baits for the Whiting.
If its your first trip I would suggest heading up river on the same side as you launch and fish roughly inline with (but no further into the channel) the large green buoy with EGG written on it or a little further up river towards the Wirral Town Hall steps. You will get an anchor in there over low water and it fishes better on the flood usually.
Always remember the Mersey is an active shipping area with many large vessels passing through so stay out of the way shore side of any channel marker buoys and observe the no anchoring zones around the ferry terminals.

·
Registered
994 Posts
As has been said, the Mersey can be brutal even when you're familiar with it. Good fishing though, I might be out over high tide on Sunday, its a big tide though!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.