World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With some great help and advise from several members here, much apprecaited. Me and my dad drove down to Abbotsbury, the oldman has wanted to fish Chesil for many years but for some reason never got around to it. Eventually got the main carpark after the mistake of heading down towards the swannery and being told i've made a mistake. Good to see a few numbers out in front of the carpark, £2 for all day parking and a small cafe with toilets i couldn't fault the place.
Seeing as there were a number of anglers straight in front we decided to talk a 10min walk to the right heading towards a few cottages then up over the bank and setup. Wind was a slight problem straight in the face etc, but after 4hrs quality fishing time we both ended up with 3 palm sized pouting all at short range. Only had one almight knock at range with black lug and razor, a very good weight being pulled in and then snap! Managed to get it to about 20 yards of the beach and then it just wouldn't move, gave it a bit of slack and time but wouldn't budge.
After a few choice words brought my line back in and the shockleader had looked as though it had been cut with a knife, just a clean cut. Upset with myself as i've just started to use tapered leader so will revert back to the trusted 60lb greased weasel from now on. Anyway, excellent few hours out with dad and at long last he can say he's fished Chesil only trouble is he's already been on the phone and wanted to sort out another visit.

Just will say again, an excellent forum with some quality people on here who gave me the advise before my visit and i can fully understand the dangers along the beach.

G

·
With some great help and advise from several members here, much apprecaited. Me and my dad drove down to Abbotsbury, the oldman has wanted to fish Chesil for many years but for some reason never got around to it. Eventually got the main carpark after the mistake of heading down towards the swannery and being told i've made a mistake. Good to see a few numbers out in front of the carpark, £2 for all day parking and a small cafe with toilets i couldn't fault the place.
Seeing as there were a number of anglers straight in front we decided to talk a 10min walk to the right heading towards a few cottages then up over the bank and setup. Wind was a slight problem straight in the face etc, but after 4hrs quality fishing time we both ended up with 3 palm sized pouting all at short range. Only had one almight knock at range with black lug and razor, a very good weight being pulled in and then snap! Managed to get it to about 20 yards of the beach and then it just wouldn't move, gave it a bit of slack and time but wouldn't budge.
After a few choice words brought my line back in and the shockleader had looked as though it had been cut with a knife, just a clean cut. Upset with myself as i've just started to use tapered leader so will revert back to the trusted 60lb greased weasel from now on. Anyway, excellent few hours out with dad and at long last he can say he's fished Chesil only trouble is he's already been on the phone and wanted to sort out another visit.

Just will say again, an excellent forum with some quality people on here who gave me the advise before my visit and i can fully understand the dangers along the beach.
Great report, chesil can be addictive!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the sounds of it, depending on the weather etc should be back down there next Wed/Thurs, glad dad goes half with the petrol.
Out of interest is it worth sticking to Abbotsbury or maybe trying out West Bexington as that looks ideal for my dad? Not too much walking etc. Just be nice to show him another new venue etc.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
If the weather settles for a period and the water starts clearing up then I personally would be heading Cogden way and targetting Plaice in daylight, then the usual targets in the night.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes it can be very good at the best of times. Been there a couple of times and caught every time I went. My biggest fish is a cod about 6lb. My dad caught a cod about 10lb.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
its those unseen monsters that snap you up that keeps me coming back, even after frustrating blanks or ting filled mayhem.

·
Registered
827 Posts
By the sounds of it, depending on the weather etc should be back down there next Wed/Thurs, glad dad goes half with the petrol.
Out of interest is it worth sticking to Abbotsbury or maybe trying out West Bexington as that looks ideal for my dad? Not too much walking etc. Just be nice to show him another new venue etc.
I there is'nt too much activity on the beach mate you can fish straight in front of your car, not much walking at all. You can also park on the left side of the road just as befor you get to the car park, only room for a few cars but free. I think the car park is free after 6 pm anyway so not that expensive. You can see how busy the beach is from the car park and if any walking is needed there is a pathway at the back of the beach to the right (not sure about left) that you can take to your chosen spot. The beach is not as steep as Abbo so should be easier for your pops.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts