World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ventured up the East coast for our first trip of the year, joined by my good fishing buddies Stuart C and Willie K, we opted to fish a mark near Montrose, but with SW winds we weren't too hopeful for sea conditions! - upon arrival we were pleasantly surprised to see a half descent swell and good coloured water! - armed with good quality bait including crab, lug, mussels & bluey we sent out our first rigs, with in minutes Stu got his first small nibble, which amounted to nothing, then willie's tip had a small nibble, then nothing, whilst standing with them my tip took a more cod confirmed tap then another good pull, picked the rod up then felt a right good pull, raised the rod and set the hook winding in a good first fish of 6lb 4.
Willie was next into the fish with a cracker at short range, literally dropped it 25 yards in front of him, 2 minutes later his rod tip slams over and he cranks in a cracking fish of 9lb 14, stu manages a few smaller fish but they come in pretty much constant - we fished the tide down with the bites dropping off towards slack tide, giving us a chance to sort traces, in my case change them completely as mine were somewhat frayed. Bait sorted and traces ready to go we awaited the turn in the tide.
Started off quite slow then got pretty active all of a sudden with all of us getting cracking bites and pulling in fish, I never had a fish below 6lb which was pretty damn great, the fish seemed to be coming on pretty much all baits - eventually the bites died off a bit and we decided to try a bit further North after checking out the google map application! - Set up and fishing again, Stu wanders over for a chat and notices some small bites on his rod, he got back to his rod, struck and the line seemed to be stuck, then it starts moving - and he cranks in a cracking cod of just over 10lb!, that' s the last fish for here and again we decide to move a little further along the shoreline. I fired out a clipped down bait at distance, trying something different and am rewarded with a nice lunge on the tip. Upon picking the rod up... nothing, hold for 5 mins, still nothing and place the rod back on the stand, wham, instantly it bows again, struck and retrieve a nice fish cod of 7lb 9 - nice end to the night for me!

We finished up with around 25 fish in total, with most of the fish being over the 6lb mark - great first trip for the year and great to see some quality fishing for a change!!

Just goes to show that Easterly winds aren't always needed!!

Attachments

·
Registered
903 Posts
great report and pics,well done on your cod not many 10lb cod from the shore
tight lines the fox

·
Registered
311 Posts
Joe

If your seriously interested in this sort of fishing you should consider joining Ayr SAC. Please visit www.ayrseaanglingclub.com

Ayr SAC is one of Scotland's oldest established clubs and they run their events at some of the top venues in Scotland..... Including the secret ones.... If you check out the links on the club web site to various blogs you will see plenty more pictures to wet you appetite.

Cheers
Stuart

·
Registered
707 Posts
Joe

If your seriously interested in this sort of fishing you should consider joining Ayr SAC. Please visit www.ayrseaanglingclub.com

Ayr SAC is one of Scotland's oldest established clubs and they run their events at some of the top venues in Scotland..... Including the secret ones.... If you check out the links on the club web site to various blogs you will see plenty more pictures to wet you appetite.

Cheers
Stuart
Thanks for the heads up mate I'll check it out!

Cheers, Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts