World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as above really,nice day so im going to head out to scotstown for low tide and fish for a couple of hours as the tide comes in. im taking some lug and mackie for bait,any advice for my first visit?

G

·
A lot of beach, read the waves for the sand bars and gullies. Where they are breaking further out its a sand bar, where they come in further before they break is the gullies. If you cast on to the sand bars you tend to blank. Get in the gullies. You will see what I mean when you look at the water.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice gus,il give it my best shot (taking camera just incase :fishing: ) its all down to practice and learning tho i suppose

G

·
If the fish are there at Scotstown you get double and treble hook ups, if not can be slow, best fish for 20mins move along till you find them maybe.

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
And don't be afraid to fish close in, more often than not that's where they are.
If using small hooks you may need a pair of forceps or a disgorger - the flounders tend to swallow the hook and it's a sod getting them out without killing the fish.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks again gus,i shall give that a try.hopefully have something to write about when i get back although im expecting a blank for my first trip out there,then any catches are a bonus :fishing:

briser,i have clamping foceps in my box as i bought a disgorger but it looks a bit complicated

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow that close in? id be as well loupin in and grabbing them :roll1:

at least it means the learning curve shouldnt be as steep as a beach where id have to cast way out looking for fish

would it be worth taking a second rod and some lures/flies to play about with or is it best sticking to baited rigs?

·
The Podlie King
1,336 Posts
Personally on this beach I would stick with Bait. If it was Cullen...

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
Hiya,

wow that close in? id be as well loupin in and grabbing them :roll1:
On the meet that I got my huge turbot earlier this year I think it was pondlife that lifted a Flounder off the sand after it had been stranded by the receding wave.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well im just back and i have to say i had a great time,got my first fish from the beach so im fair chuffed with myself (ended up with 2 :fishing: )

thanks to millser for coming out and keeping me company (and showing me how its done)

gus- nice to meet you mate,hopefully il be around longer next time

learned a couple of valuable lessons

1 - my rod rest is no good at home
2- my trainers arnt waterproof :roll1:
3- my fixed spool reel aint much cope (time for a nice shiney multiplier)

pics later as i have been summoned by my better half:doh:

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
well im just back and i have to say i had a great time,got my first fish from the beach so im fair chuffed with myself (ended up with 2 :fishing: )
:clap3: :clap3: :clap3: What'd you get? Flounder, Dab, Turbot?

thanks to millser for coming out and keeping me company (and showing me how its done)

gus - nice to meet you mate,hopefully il be around longer next time
Well done fella's - I did contemplate venturing out but then the rain came so I stayed home ;)

learned a couple of valuable lessons

1 - my rod rest is no good at home
2- my trainers arnt waterproof :roll1:
3- my fixed spool reel aint much cope (time for a nice shiney multiplier)
Now it starts getting expensive ;) there's plenty of us in the area with different reels if you want to try before you buy ;)

Look forward to the photo's :wiggle:

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
the addiction and spending is about to comence :sun:
well done on ur catches and well done on the other guys for helpin out!! lookin forward to ur pics :fish:

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Well done mate - glad you got a couple of fish.
Beach fishing is great fun but yes you do need waterproof boots and it helps to have a rod rest even to hang things on..
Looking forward to pics...

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
piccy time

not the biggest of fish (half pound each maybe) and certainly not the biggest taken yesterday but im chuffed to bits to have gone out and caught 2 on my first beach sesh with only minimal help

cant wait to go again :fishing:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
was good to meet up with you rauri I didn't realise you had taken your own pictures here is another one

[/IMG]

I ended up with 7 flounder biggest being exactly 1lb no sign of any turbot though, the fish were all caught very close in amongst the surf.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice pic,cheers ian

thankfully the shadow on my face hides slightly the grin like that cat that got the cream,i was just a bit pleased to get the first one under my belt.i would have been off again today but the g/f has me on a short leash today :thumbdown

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have to pay good money for it too :ph34r:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts