World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having started fly fishing last year and catching just 1 fish in 4 sessions, I was keen to get out as soon as possible.

So I took the day off work and booked myself in for a day at Chew Valley Lake.

Arrived at 6am, no breeze at all, massive buzzer hatch, they were everywhere, but I couldn't buy a bite!
I was fishing an epoxy black buzzer on the point and a shiphams buzzer on the dropper.
All the while watching the guy next to me haul a line out miles, catching 4 fish in the first hour or so on lures. He advised there is a channel where the fish patrol, but you need to really get the line out there to reach it, hence his lure tactics. Clearly did the trick for him.

I tried a lure on my spare rod, but I struggled with the intermediate line and got myself into some tangles so went back to the 5wt floating setup which was easier to struggle on with.

Anyway, after 2 hours of watching others catch fish, I got a take! Was a brilliant scrap on the 5wt, several runs before I finally landed it in the net. Caught on my own fly!

I decided to swap out the shiphams buzzer and change it to a diawl bacH nymph (not home made unfortunately). Half an hour later I had another bite, on the diawl bach this time.
Plenty of acrobatics from this one which was amazing to see. Did a proper job of my leader though, was a chop it up and start again...

Weighed when I got home, first was 3lb 4oz and the second was 3lb 3oz.
Well happy with that! I tried for the rest of the day and headed home at 15:30 with no more action.

Next step is to arrange a lesson asap, I was much more confident by the end of the day, but I need to learn from somebody to correct me before I fish for long and create my own bad habits that I'll struggle to shake. Any one have any reccomendations in the Bristol area? I'm all ears.

Cheers all

·
Registered
56 Posts
You have John Horsey on chew who is one of the best anglers to come out of the uk in years. You dont need to cast far to catch trout. Presentation, flies and methods will be the most important thing you can learn

·
The Cheeky Essex Lure Fisher, joined March 2010
5,405 Posts
Having started fly fishing last year and catching just 1 fish in 4 sessions, I was keen to get out as soon as possible.

So I took the day off work and booked myself in for a day at Chew Valley Lake.

Arrived at 6am, no breeze at all, massive buzzer hatch, they were everywhere, but I couldn't buy a bite!
I was fishing an epoxy black buzzer on the point and a shiphams buzzer on the dropper.
All the while watching the guy next to me haul a line out miles, catching 4 fish in the first hour or so on lures. He advised there is a channel where the fish patrol, but you need to really get the line out there to reach it, hence his lure tactics. Clearly did the trick for him.

I tried a lure on my spare rod, but I struggled with the intermediate line and got myself into some tangles so went back to the 5wt floating setup which was easier to struggle on with.

Anyway, after 2 hours of watching others catch fish, I got a take! Was a brilliant scrap on the 5wt, several runs before I finally landed it in the net. Caught on my own fly!

View attachment 1362418
View attachment 1362419

I decided to swap out the shiphams buzzer and change it to a diawl bacH nymph (not home made unfortunately). Half an hour later I had another bite, on the diawl bach this time.
Plenty of acrobatics from this one which was amazing to see. Did a proper job of my leader though, was a chop it up and start again...
View attachment 1362420
View attachment 1362421

Weighed when I got home, first was 3lb 4oz and the second was 3lb 3oz.
Well happy with that! I tried for the rest of the day and headed home at 15:30 with no more action.

Next step is to arrange a lesson asap, I was much more confident by the end of the day, but I need to learn from somebody to correct me before I fish for long and create my own bad habits that I'll struggle to shake. Any one have any reccomendations in the Bristol area? I'm all ears.

Cheers all
if guys are out casting u then u must learn the double haul cast
it will help u get more yards
i went 8 times before i caught
went to bewl bridge res
pretty big at 660 acres
well done on the fish mate great going

·
The Cheeky Essex Lure Fisher, joined March 2010
5,405 Posts
You have John Horsey on chew who is one of the best anglers to come out of the uk in years. You dont need to cast far to catch trout. Presentation, flies and methods will be the most important thing you can learn
in most cases yes
but theres allways room to know how to cast a long way
bit of a git when u see fish rising and u cant reach them
fast sinkers are a point in case bazzer

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm not being funny here but i've fished for my country in fly fishing and the biggest mistake i see in newcomers is poor presentation. I've seen boys put a full line out but cant catch a fish. So much of a trouts diet can be found in a foot of water. Also you could have every secret fly in the world but if you dont know how to fish it then you are wasting your time. In places like chew and the midlands reservoirs there are more fish you dont see than the ones you do see feeding. Especially on a boat. Contact the likes of john horsey and he will see you fine.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I've been contacted by a member of flyfishing forum called John, based in the Chew area, he said he used to guide and fished for the UK (or England?) in competition, so it may well be John Horsey? Either way he sounds like he knows how to fish with a fly rod.

I've got a casting lesson booked with him next week, so hopefully I'll have the information needed for me to go away and practice with. I'd like to be able to cast in a straight line with a straight leader, so my fly lands gracefully on the water, with fewer tangles....avoiding all the foliage will be a bonus as will a few extra yards than my current technique allows.

·
Registered
24,555 Posts
I am sure they used to fish there for big pike on big flys/lures????

Reactions: flappyfish

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chew offer pike days. But they sell out incredibly quickly it seems. Looks like 30lbers are caught fairly frequently.
I guess when you've got an almost endless supply of 2 to 4lb trout to eat, you will tend to feed larger and larger pike and in bigger numbers than any natural habitat could sustain.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers guys, I was rather happy with how much of a fight they put up on a 5wt, was superb actually!

The lesson is going to be over water, but not a guided fishing session. We work within 20mins or so of eachother, so we are going to meet on the Avon for a casting lesson after work.
I will then go fishing at the weekend for a session and practice what I'm taught.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts