1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
If the fish and shellfish is a grey area. I don't think swimming in it is a good idea.
As it stood before this spill I would not go near shellfish from the Forth again.

I collected mussels at Granton some years ago and picked up a serious stomach bug from whatever was on my hands when I shelled them for bait. It took several hospital visits and X rays and being put on machines that turned you upside down to do bowel examinations to eliminate suspected cancer. Finally it was discovered some bug from the mussels had damaged the lining of my bowel.
I still suffer bouts of stomach problems regularly because of that mussel bait picking session.
So keep away folks is my advice and if you do go down to the sea there, be very carefull!

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
Firth of Forth - fine for swimming but don't eat the fish yet!

thats the most stupidest thing ive ever heard
when you go swimming the water will go into your mouth or via your ears hmmm eating fish surley you cook fish before you eat it which will prpobably kill 99% of the germs etc on fish

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I expect everyone,(that's old enough to mind),would agree that the 60s and 70s were great times for the amount of good cod about in summer and winter.Correct me if I'm wrong but also at these times the tolies just plopped into the sea from the end of the sh1tty pipe.Certainly did round here anyway,and it didn't seem to have an adverse effect on the populace.We didn't get a sewage treatment works until the mid 80s.

·
'Blast Beach Veteran'
3,034 Posts
I expect everyone,(that's old enough to mind),would agree that the 60s and 70s were great times for the amount of good cod about in summer and winter.Correct me if I'm wrong but also at these times the tolies just plopped into the sea from the end of the sh1tty pipe.Certainly did round here anyway,and it didn't seem to have an adverse effect on the populace.We didn't get a sewage treatment works until the mid 80s.

Yes Bob, we used to drag tampax and jonnies in with our lines from hendon wall in Sunderland, and the jobbies used to float by, but the fish was still good eating!

·
Registered
4,474 Posts

Aye Bob
I remember swimming in the Forth in the 70's & a tollie bobbing past :lmao:
Our sewage plant was built in the 80's too....... thank god !

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I can rember fishing a mark for flounder near Barow where toilet roll collecting on your rig and leader knot was a problem! Good flounder population there, never took any for the pot though.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Well i had a fillet tonight from the 2 pounder that i caught last sunday(48 hrs after sewage spill).
The fish tasted fab and i feel fine at the moment, although it might take a while to go through the system. I honestly believe that as long as the fish are properly cleaned,stored, and cooked then everything will be fine.
As little as 10 yrs ago we had raw sewage coming out of a pipe at the east end of the breakwater( where i fish). Many of these fish were eaten with no stomach complaints at that time, although of course i would'nt recommend it nowadays to anyone.
What i am trying to say basically is that i dont really think this episode has done any long term harm to good eating fish. It still should never have happend though and i hope there will be some severe punishment to those responsible.
Of course if you have any doubts on eating fish from the Forth then dont eat them if youre that worried about it.
As for the fishing, i will be down again ASAP.....:) :)

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
let me get this right did people used to swim in it:g:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Sadly true!
I can remember as a kid of about 6. paddling about at Granton beach with ***te floating about, and I also remember picking up this strange cream coloured rubber thing I found floating about and bringing it over to show my Mum and Auntie and saying "look what I found! What is it?":)

I also remember the constant flocks of Seagulls that hovered around the discharge pipes about a 1/2 mile or so out to sea. There were lots of these pipes between Granton and Portobello.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Wow you found a balloon!!! :) I liked that story, reminds me of the time i caught a sanitary towel on a 3 hook flapper rig at hartlepool.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
The sewer pipe in Pittenweem was short of the low water mark,and the outdoor pool was only 200 yards away,and one of the top rock marks for the cod was only about 70 yards away.Anstruther only got it's sewage station about 10 years ago,previous to that it all just went with the flow. I suppose those situations went on for as long as the drains had been invented,probably over a hundred years or more.Suddenly now it's a national disgrace when an overspill happens.You are probably better off picking up a bit of dirt in your system,get your body used to it.More than likley why these days with everyone obsessed with cleanliness that kids especially are always ill with summat.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
True enough Bob, just look how food poisoning has taken off over the years, or is that just women that canny cook properly :g:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
You have people with all manner of diseases sh****ng into the system now. Back in those days we did not have. Aids, HIV, MRSA, C-DEFICILE etc, all brought about through lack of hygene.
Does anyone feel happy someone has peed or Sh*t in the water you are using to have fun in and knowing it is in there untreated?
We did have IMPETIGO and RINGWORM and SCABIES in the "good" old days though. And lots of other uses for Jenson's Violet! :)
Read my post about how I got ill on this thread. 2nd one I think.

Dave.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts