World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Venue - North Queensferry, Battery Point, Firth of Forth

Fished small jetty cut into rocks about 100 yrds to the left side of rail bridge, Started fishing 2 hours before low water and 2 hours after, (after this, tide is to high to fish mark) bait was Rag / Lug and Cockle to tip worm baits.

Started getting bites straight away, must of missed about a half dozen bites before it dawned on me to change hook size down, I had been using 4/0 from the last time I had been boat fishing... DOH! Went onto 2/0 hooks then I started hitting into small Codling, average size was about 1lb to 1lb 8 oz had 5 of these for the morning, then I hit a decent Codling of 2lb 9 oz, this is now filleted and in the fridge for me tea tonight.

If anybody is thinking of trying this mark head down to NQF follow road down to the Albert Hotel and take a left along Battery Road until you come to gates at building site below bridge, there is a carpark just above gates, you will have to ask the watchman in portacabin for access, once in gates follow path to jetty on left side of bridge, there is a small jetty cut into rocks about 30 yrds to the left of main jetty, this is the mark I use. dont bother going if tide is in... you will need an aqualung as old jetty will be under 20 ft of sea :p

·
Registered
112 Posts
Alright bigdunny

Not a bad days work then! Might try down that way soon, are there any other marks nearby to make a full day of it?

Shad.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Shad,

Yeah there are 1 or 2 good marks just to the left of the old jetty that i use, you can fish these as the tide is coming in, if you look on the map you will see a road called East Bay, this is now a private houseing estate, on the point of East Bay there is an old pier/dock with a castle thingy built on it, I have been told by some of the local lads that they have been catching schoolie bass at low water on the beach just to the right of the castle/house thingy.

Its a pity about the houseing estate being built on this bit of land, as a lad I used to fish all around this area, I know it very well as I was born in NQF, but there is access through the houses to the beach so no body should bother you as long as your below high water mark.

Anything else you want to know give me a bell m8, I will only be to happy to help

·
Registered
297 Posts
Nice catch bigdunny i might give it a try not to for away you said to go on the pier what about when the tide is in how's the fishing then?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Keith,

If you are going to be fishing at the rail bridge, start of at the old jetty ( 30 yrds to the left of main slipway) as the tide comes in head up the slope and fish at a rocky outcrop there are some big pools of water next to this, you will see an old WW2 gun emplacement above you.

If you want to fish at East Bay, make your way down to the beach and head along to the left, you wont be able to fish from the pier itself as this is where someone has their house built, but if you sorta fish from the rocks below it you will be ok, you dont want to fish from the pier anyway ! straight out from this is a sand bank, you need to cast more to the right into the rough ground, again once tide starts coming in, I would head round to battery point and fish from rocky outcrop.

hope this helps

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Shad,

I use one or two hook bomber rigs (minus the impact shield) depends on how much bait I managed to dig whether I use one or two hooks. with the weights I use a cripper, as the tide, once it starts running is pretty fierce, between the shore and Inch Garvie there can be a 6 knot tide ripping through.

You dont need nothing fancy to fish down there, I just whack it out an hope for the best, distance is no problem as you will be fishing into about 80 - 100 ft of water next to bridge.

all the best bigD

·
Registered
112 Posts
Alright bigdunny...

Nice one mate, I'm off to see when the tides suit my time off work! :D

Have you ever tried night fishing around there or is that not a good idea with the housing so close by? :confused:

Shad.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Shad,

No never try'd night fishing at East Bay, like I mentioned I was born in the village, I have never fished from there before, I always used to go round to the battery as we called it, 20 odd year ago, we thought nothing about pulling in a 5lb + Cod from the rocks.

As I was coming away from there this morning I bumped into a guy I hadnt seen in years, he told me about East Bay, and I do know that they have had the odd Cod to 5lb from here, as the NQF angling club used to have an open day every gala week in the month of June, and I have seen the catch reports. in the ferry the only really place where you will catch fish is from either East Bay....lol we always called it bugraw in the village, its only been called East Bay since they built the private hooses. (going on hearsay here ) or from the battery. different if you are fishing from a boat but thats another story.

hope this helps

John

·
Registered
44 Posts
We fished under the railway bridge today at NQF, lost a good fish on first cast then nuffink....then lost 6 sets of tackle on 6 successive casts:-( decided a change of plan was needed

drove round to Culross, fished off the rocks and hit into some bass, 1lb-2lb,missed lots of bites..managed not to get cut off with tide coming in...moved round the corner to the man made wall bit and fished for a wee bit longer with no bites.
Although a dog ran up and scoffed my mackerel bait that had been out the fridge for 2 days !!!
Baits used were lugworm,ragworm,mackerel,squid,cockles.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it can be a bit snaggy under the bridge .... but 6 sets of tackle :eek: I have seen me loosing the odd bit of gear from thr, but never 6.....bummer m8

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Aldo m8,

If you want to try again under the railway bridge give me a pm or e-mail me [email protected] ....it can be a bugger under the bridge if you dont know the right spot to fish, if you want to try it again in the future give me a bell beforehand and I will try to meet you and show you the marks.

all the best

·
Registered
44 Posts
:cool: good plan dunny,
spoke to the wee man under the bridge<sounds a bit Lord of the Rings!!!> he says its ok to go there if they aint workin on bridge, will definately be back up that side of the coast again soon,
Previously tried south queensferry at the harbour, got a few codling, ling, coalies etc....
Other places are kincardine bridge,dysart and limekilns,any info muchly appreciated....

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi all im new to the forum been reading your guide and will try some of your spots next week. got a small 13 foot boat and going to go up to the power station today to the warm water. Any idea whats up there?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Should be some small bass kicking around and the odd flattie/eel - never fished that far up from a boat though- let us know how you get on. :)

cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
never made it up to the power station just sat under the rail bridge and drifted round the rocks. Snags every where!!! so moved over to the island have way over. heading up to the poer staion at the weekend will let you know how we get on.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bummer m8, have sent you an e-mail, its an anchor job if you want to fish under bridge from a boat, there is too much tide rip going through between pillars and Inch Garvie.

get an anchor and a good lenght of rope for next time, you wont loose any tackle after this, (well you shouldnt)

·
Registered
44 Posts
:) days off this week are thurs and fri.
Bugga the weather, ill be out digging lugs early doors thurs morning,
then heading all out fishing round the forth areas thurs and friday.
probably start off under rail bridge while tide comes in at NQF.... dunny if u wanna drop by id be grateful<g>.......
if ive any tackle left will head round to Culross,then maybe finish off at Knicardine bridge.
Anyone know anywhere to dig rags? Tried harbour wall at limekilns,someone said oxfam but i think they were takin the p*ss.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts