World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Had a meeting with the dreaded bank business manager this afternoon, and left the bank feeling so exhilirated cos a) My business manager is young, blonde, and very pretty!!! and b) my new business is all go!!! Hoorah! Anyway...I digress.....felt good with the world, so popped into West Cornwall angling, and picked up a couple of new spinners.

I had some Lug and Rag left over from a completely pointless session in Carnsew ( why oh why do I try each year to catch fish from the river.....I have never caught a bloody thing in 6 years of trying!!).

Decided that as it was mid-afternoon, I would head down one of my fav North coast headlands. Got there for 4pm, and walking down throught the fields, swallows above, Pheasant calling over to my right, wild garlic smell in the air, and the heat rising in waves from the ground, you just know that when Summer is in the air, you just feel like a king to be alive!!

Tackled up my spinning rod with a 2oz lead and put a geet glob of lug on a big hook....banged it out there, and .......absolutely zip all!! Rebaited with another geet lump, this time with Rag and within minutes missed an absolute killer bite. Rebaited again (3 worms this time instead of 4 just in case I had masked the hook!) , cast out! 3 minutes and I had just sat down on the hot rocks, when the rod just whacked down! Luckily I was holding the rod, so instantly struck into what I knew would be a good fish! A couple of minutes and a very fine fight later I had the largest wrasse I've caught in 3 years at my feet! Unhooked and what a pleasure to see it give a big flick of the tail and disappear back to the deep!

A couple of mates turned up, (too late to see the wrasse:schmoll: ), and I decided to switch to spinning!

2nd cast in, and pluck pluck pluck...following the lure! It took its time, but after a few seconds lunged and after a short fight, a small 1 1/2lb Pollock was returned for another day!

Had a couple more casts, but no takes, so moved on a few yards! Again, 2nd cast and I was counting the lure down when bang! I instantly knew that I had a nice fish and the fight was unbelievable - not monster, but just constant fighting from absolute maximum range on a 45grm spinner to right in under my feet where I realised it was a VERY large Mackerel! I was yelling at my 2 mates a few feet away, who both ****ed themselves as I was lifting the still fighting mackerel from the water and it shed the hook, promptly landed back in the brine and sped off!! I was gutted......that was the biggest mackerel I've ever seen, and I already had it grilled and over a crunchy salad in my head.....I'd even buttered the wholemeal bread!!

Well it all went quiet after that, so after 3 hours of fishing, I left my two mates with another 40 minutes in the tide, and headed home!

As I climbed up the headland and headed back across the fields, I was thinking that 3 fish in 3 hours isn't that good really! But you know what, I was thrilled, and as I walked along I spotted the Pheasant that I'd heard earlier. Keeping him in the corner of my eye, I watched him flatten down into the grass as I passed about 15 feet from him!

It's days like this, when the sun is shining, the wildlife is buzzing all around you, the scenery is breathtaking, and the fish are there and obliging you with a great fight, that I know why I love Cornwall, and why I put up with jobs that dont pay enough, and houses I could never afford to buy!! It really is a hell of a place to be, and it really is good for the soul!!!!!!!!!

cheers all,

Frags:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Great report!! I can only say your right, the fish ARE in, at last. Had 2 nice bass, biggest 3.6 and 14 gilts biggest 2.8 in the last 10 days.

Keep them lines tight!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gilts...... That was what I was after in Carnsew!! Trouble is, I have no idea what the hell I need to do to catch one! Never fished for bream or mullet before!

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
frags , can you cheer up a bit. your reports are so dismal and depressing, also a bit short and lacking detail

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
frags , can you cheer up a bit. your reports are so dismal and depressing, also a bit short and lacking detail
LOL....very good...

Nice report Frags....sounds like a great session. Nice to know there are some mackies showing from the North Coast....thats the first I have heard off. Shame you lost it.
I guess you were up St Ives way maybe down by the lookout??

Keep it up mate and that biggy will come.....:clap3:

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
I was in cornwall last summer and it was wicked. Wish i was there now. Great report, it was good reading.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
walking down throught the fields, swallows above, Pheasant calling over to my right, wild garlic smell in the air, and the heat rising in waves from the ground, you just know that when Summer is in the air, you just feel like a king to be alive!!
:clap3:
Superb report, Frags. Was right there with you. It's not just about catching fish, is it?
Good mackerel, too. I had a big one on a handline as a kid but I'd love to hook one on a rod & single lure.
So congrats on everything - from the fish to the report to the totty at the bank!
[get in there quick mate, and make a deposit before she loses interest... ]

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL...thanks for all your comments!

The girl in the bank really was a pretty girl; But its not about the deposit...its the hasty withdrawal I hate! LOL.......oh and the fact that the GF might have a few comments with a baseball bat to make!

Well....its just coming up to low tide, and I got loads of housework to do, but the GF is in Taunton, the sun is shining, and my spinning rod is looking forlornly at me again!

Cheers,

Frags

Lands end Tony......PM'ed mate! must get together sometime for an exchange of marks! LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts